New to Me C&R STEN Mk II

I just picked this up yesterday. It is a Fazakerley FF code gun. It also has sn S233 on the magazine well. There are not many other numbers or stampings on the gun. It doesn't look to me that it was ever dewated, but I could be mistaken. What else should I be looking for?

post-259934-0-06159100-1533830889_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-76498100-1533830903_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-48057900-1533830918_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-46747500-1533830930_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-49246200-1533830941_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-49717800-1533830963_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-45129500-1533830974_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-22090000-1533830986_thumb.jpg

Looks like the tube has had some work. Could be original but had extra weld on the head to reinforce a weak weld. Also the welds have been ground smooth which is not a typical British gun. Could be an Ex Fin gun.

Do me a favor and point out what you are talking about more specifically. I don’t really know that much yet.

On the pictures I cannot see the "safety hole" for the bolt handle on the left side of the receiver. If so, you should install an early type bolt handle.

There is no safety hole. How do I tell an early style bolt handle?

Edited by DZelenka

Top one is the cocking handle Mk5 used in the Mk5 and 6 guns from production and retro fitted under an EMER to all previous marks. As the gun has no hole for the Mk5 safety handle to fit into, this gun was never modified under the EMER. This in turn means it was out of service with the British by 1944 and could have been in use with another

Country. I say possibly Finland as they ground all the rough British welds smooth during their FTR programme.

Correct cocking handle for your gun is the middle cocking handle Mk2 used on the STEN Mk1, Mk1* and Mk2.

Ill try and get a photo of the correct welds on the head of a Faz assembled gun so you can see where yours has been reinforced.

Does anyone know where to find the early 'top hat' style bolt handle? I too have a Sten Mk2 without the receiver 'safety bolt lock hole'. I've been looking for years with no luck. I would even settle for a reproduction. Thanks, Todd in Oregon

3rd handle is the Lines Brothers cocking handle Mk3, again it was a variation that could be used on the Mk1, 1*, 2 And 3 but was only correct on a Mk3. If a resistance STEN has one, it was retro fitted before being dropped behind lines. The cocking handle Mk1 and Mk2 were used on the late Mk1 and Mk1* of which I have examples.

Shouldnt the Fins have their Stens modified to Mk5 cocking handle? Difficult to say. Also it seems the Fins added sometimes their own made different contour handles and a belt loop to the skeketon stock

Could you describe what you mean by different contour handle?

The Finns bought a lot of STENs in the 50s in the belief they were good to go. When they received them they found that most were tired and worn out. So the Finns set to and refurbished them as required. They ground the ugly welds smooth, added sling loops, added their own ball ended Mk5 style cocking handle (Designed for gloved hands) and refinished them. From the hundreds of Ex Finn guns Ive seen, there are many variations. Not all appear to have received every mod, some had a deep blue finish while others had a Suncorite finish. It would appear they stripped some guns for spares but these were never modified and also received a spares package in the deal which dont appear to have been modified either.

Post Finn use, many of theses guns ended up in Africa with STENs from other sources and parts have probably been mixed up. There were a few hundred Mk2s that came out of Africa about 7 years ago that were all missing their butts for some reason.

Its hard to say after 75 years where a particular gun has been and who with but Im pretty convinced the OPs gun is an honest well used item.

Shot it today. Runs great. Not a hiccup. But it doesn't hit even close to the point of aim. At 7 yds, it is 5.5" low and 4.5" right. I am going to need to do something about that if it is going to get shot at all. I am open to suggestions. Otherwise, it will go into the back of the safe never to see the light of day. I hate a gun that doesn't hit where I aim it.

I did find a small broad arrow over CE or CF on the side of the lower frame (not tube) and a M with a small crown? near there. There is also a similar small crown looking stamp on the barrel but no numbers or broad arrow like I have seen on other barrels. The stock has the edge of a box stamped near the weld by the receiver. Can't really tell what it is under the paint.

Dan

The small marks are inspectors marks.

Check the barrel is installed in the correct orientation. When they fitted the barrels, they would test fire and move the barrel around until they found the best alignment and then ajust the front sight for best position. When they were happy, they would mark the barrel at the 12 oclock position so the barrel could be assembled correctly every time. Have a look on the end of the barrel for a fine line or number. It could be hidden under paint. If you cant see it, just rotate the barrel and test fire till you get the best result and mark it yourself.

The small marks are inspectors marks.

Check the barrel is installed in the correct orientation. When they fitted the barrels, they would test fire and move the barrel around until they found the best alignment and then ajust the front sight for best position. When they were happy, they would mark the barrel at the 12 oclock position so the barrel could be assembled correctly every time. Have a look on the end of the barrel for a fine line or number. It could be hidden under paint. If you cant see it, just rotate the barrel and test fire till you get the best result and mark it yourself.

What about the arrow with the C?

I know about the witness mark on the barrel. I started it at 12 o'clock. clearly this isn't the original barrel. I moved it completely around the clock. the group at 7 yds was about 3" and it depended on how the barrel was oriented as to where the bullet landed. the center of the group was 4.5" right and 5.5" low.

i had a desert eagle that was 24" off at 25 yards..my solution was custom sights for my .44 setup and a red dot for my .50 setup....i suspect your going to have to do the same...make a custom front sight or put a red dot mount on it...

luckily mine is on up/down, but its off 6" to the left at 15 yards.....i can just bang the front sight over.....your front sight might be off the gun :)

The C Arrow with 2 letters underneath is an inspectors mark, Ill try and get photos of my Faz today with the same marks.

With regards to the barrel, at some point in its rotation, you should find the grouping in vertical line with the sights and either high or low. There were numbered forsights to compensate for height and if you cut the weld there is some lateral movement. If the grouping doesnt move around the centre line as the barrel rotates, it could indicate the barrel seat isnt installed correctly and thats a big fix. It also could indicate a tube gun as the originals were jigged at assembly.