Lrb Receiver

Chromebolt

I have a Norinco M14 that was rebuilt years ago using USGI parts. The receiver is the only Norinco part left. I want to replace the receiver and I have heard good things about the LRB receiver.

Does anyone here have any input on these receivers?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a suggestion however I wouldn't even consider replacing the Norinco receiver you have.

Here's a link for some additional information: http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIID2b161.html

The Chinese receivers are of good quality steel and are either machined from barstock or forged and machined (can't remember which).

From Different's FAQ: http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/m14typeriflesd.htm :

**Receivers - There are three important factors in determining the quality of a M14 type rifle receiver. They are the material, heat treatment and dimensional geometry. American receivers are made of 8620 steel and the Chinese receivers made of 5100 steel. 8620 steel contains trace percentages of molybdenum, manganese, nickel and chromium. 5100 steel is a chromium alloy steel. Both are suitable for hardening using heat treatment. USGI, Chinese and Taiwanese receivers are forged**

I have owned 2 Chinese M1A clones (now 1) and currently own 2 LRB's (1 built by Smith Enterprise and 1 built by LRB). I did have another bare LRB receiver which I sold off. LRB has had their share of issues. Most notably some of the receivers were produced with rear sight serrations that were shallow. On two of my LRBs there were shallow ramps in the heel cavity where the top rear rounded section of the bolt rides. Although very slight I have wondered if this causes increased bolt wear from these shallow "speed bumps". I also had issues with the area for the bolt stop being machined to narrow. This would cause the stop to release spontaneously.

To be fair LRB fixed the bolt stop issue promptly but they more or less told me to live with the "speed bumps" in the receiver heel.

To summarize, I think LRB puts out a good receiver but they are far from perfect (at least based on the ones I have owned). The Norinco/Polytechs can have problems as well but my Chinese clones were the equal of any of my LRBs.

I have a Norinco M14 that was rebuilt years ago using USGI parts. The receiver is the only Norinco part left. I want to replace the receiver and I have heard good things about the LRB receiver.

Does anyone here have any input on these receivers?

Edited by Bridge

Bridgeport:

Good link, I going to join the forum.

Bridge:

Fulton Armory did the upgrade many years ago. Clint told me the receiver was good quality, just rough finished. It's still a Norinco. I appreciate the input and may reconsider. I may just buy another Thompson parts kit instead.

This what happens when your spouse lets you buy some things. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...