Wts: Colt Thompsons

QUOTE (skoda @ Apr 22 2005, 04:30 PM)

What's up with J. Curtis Earl guns?

The late J. Curtis Earl had many fine guns in his collection and sold many during the 1970's and 1980's. He had a knack for marketing, however, and even had some phony compensators made up claiming they were the "1st type" compensators and very scarce. Because of the popularity of post-WWII Thompsons in movies and TV shown with compensators, he dreamed up this new type in an effort to make some of his 1921A Models more attractive. Of course, there was no such thing as the compensator he showed in his early catalogues.

In other words, he was more of a salesman than a historian and rumor has it that many of his guns were swapped out with different parts and such. I remember speaking with him before he died and was interested in obtaining an early Colt style front sight for a second model compensator I had. In case you are not aware, they are not the same as the WWII variety in that the radius on the front of the sight blade is different. He claimed he had one availalble and charged me about five times what I paid for a military type front sight blade from Sarco. What he sent me was exactly that, a WWII production front sight blade. When I called him on it, he argued with me over the phone that there was no difference between the Colt and WWII sights and insisted he sent a sight from a Colt gun. He had enough guns over the years to know the difference. From then on any thing I heard about him and his guns I considered suspect.

Arthur may have some more anecdotes, but suffice it to say I didn't consider him very forthright for the prices he charged.

QUOTE (dalbert @ Apr 21 2005, 10:00 PM)

By the way, Buddy is not my brother.  He moderates the board,and does a good job of keeping out the troublemakers. 

Hi Dave,

Sorry about that, not sure where I got that impression. Thanks for the clarification and informative response.