Price/Reality Check?

halftrack

It's worth a lot less than an uncut one. Their bogus ad about H&R being the mfr. is certainly not what it says on the paperwork. If you're truly interested I'd call and find out who did the work (listed as the mfr on the forms). If it's Neal Smith and the price is right I'd think about it. If not I'd probably take a pass

RIA makes up numbers since they have no one versed in C3 items, and the auction will determine the final price.....unless it doesn't make the sellers reserve price, but this one looks pretty low and I'm sure it will sell above 11K with the BP and sales tax.

I'd ask for pics with the bolt retracted since this one looks like a 2 cut receiver. Most of what I've seen have been a single cut in the middle. One is bad enough, two on a receiver like that, that is known to take a beating at the heel would disqualify it for me. HTH

Looks like ERB Marking for Charles Erb Manufacture. FWIW every example of an Erb weld manufactured M14 that I have observed was out of spec, even saw one that broke apart. Probably why the auction estimate is so low. Edited by inertord

Sorry to disagree, but having been acquainted with him for many yers and seen dozens of the MGs he built, reactivated, etc, the marks pictured look nothing even remotely like Erb's ID which he applied to numerous if not all of his products. Erb was a skilled machinist and made his own metal stamps including his logo stamp. His ID logo stamp was an outline of what appears to be a rimfire pistol cartridge with his full name, town and state inside the outline. His logo was the most distinctive of any 07/02 from '68 to '86 in my view. It is entirely possible that he built that M14 before he made his logo, but those marks are not his well known and usual stamp. They do not look like any maker's stamp for that matter. FWIW

The registration would be the best way, but the idea of Charlie hand stamping a high Rockwell hardness forged receiver with his normal logo stamp is unlikely? Later remarked receivers were all engraved due to the heat treat on that receiver. How much heat treat is left after welding, if any, would be a mystery unless you can find out who did the work? A somewhat risky investment unless it goes cheap then you have some money left over to attempt to make it "more right".