• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3523 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

My comments about Colt's era parts in early Savage Thompson guns is not designed to state unequivocally what happened. Its purpose is to question those in the past who have stated as fact Savage Arms used Colt's parts in the manufacture of early Savage Arms Thompson submachine guns. 

I stands to reason that the bulk of any left over AOC spare parts were still at Colt's and moved to Savage Arms as the AOC space at Colt's was vacated.  

Good to know raising questions regarding conclusions stated as fact in authoritative materials is not considered trolling. 

But why is Harold still holding on to Colt TSMG machinery  seven months after AOC last order for spare parts and after Maguire purchased AOC from Marcellus Thompson?  Why would Harold devote Colt Fire Arm factory space to machinery  that  no longer produced income for Colt? And why would Maguire want to continue to pay for storage space at Colt after his November, 1939 contract with Savage to produce 10,000 TSMGs necessitated that Savage be in possession of the 20 year-old Colt machinery? 

But regarding 1928A Savage  No. S- 17359, did you travel to the U.K. to examine this Savage or did you rely on Clive McPherson to take whatever photos the British museum would allow?  Disassembling the frame and removing the ejector was probably frowned on by the curator.

Edited by Arthur Fliegenheimer, 02 February 2018 - 03:26 PM.

#82 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3010 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

Good to know raising questions regarding conclusions stated as fact in authoritative materials is not considered trolling. ​Trolling is when you post untrue historical information that is readily available for any RKI that purports to know about the Thompson gun, to wit:

But why is Harold still holding on to Colt TSMG machinery  seven months after AOC last order for spare parts and after Maguire purchased AOC from Marcellus Thompson?  The last order to Colt's from AOC based on the November 28, 1939 letter you cited above is 11/21/1939. 7 months? Really? Why would Harold devote Colt Fire Arm factory space to machinery  that  no longer produced income for Colt? See above sentence by me. It appears Colt's was still making money from AOC less than a month before the December 15, 1939 contract between Savage Arms and AOC was executed. And why would Maguire want to continue to pay for storage space at Colt after his November, 1939 contract with Savage to produce 10,000 TSMGs necessitated that Savage be in possession of the 20 year-old Colt machinery? ​Again, the contract between Savage Arms and AOC was executed on December 15, 1939. While I do not know anything about the Colt's & AOC lease arrangements, I would assume AOC started to vacate the Colt's space when the 500 Swedish Colt's were shipped in early to mid-February 1940. I do know George Goll left Colt's for Utica shortly after the contract was executed.

But regarding 1928A Savage  No. S- 17359, did you travel to the U.K. to examine this Savage or did you rely on Clive McPherson to take whatever photos the British museum would allow?  Disassembling the frame and removing the ejector was probably frowned on by the curator. No travel for me. I did not ask for the frame to be disassembled or the ejector to be removed. The lack of a compensator and ring front sight was my main interest during my correspondence with Clive. 

#83 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3523 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

But why is Harold still holding on to Colt TSMG machinery  seven months after AOC last order for spare parts and after Maguire purchased AOC from Marcellus Thompson?  The last order to Colt's from AOC based on the November 28, 1939 letter you cited above is 11/21/1939. 

Interesting you neglected to mention that the November order was for XX box magazines, not TSMG internal spare parts. Are you saying Maguire was waiting for Colt to complete the November order for XX box magazines before he could move the machines to Utica, N.Y?  Even accounting for that November magazine order delay, it was still over two months before the equipment arrived at the Utica plant. Did Savage use that equipment to make their own xxrd magazines?  

Your curiosity about Savage S- 17359 didn't extend beyond the lack of a  Cutts Compensator?  Ok. Then we cannot eliminate the possibility it my have Colt internal parts. 

#84 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3010 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

I did not neglect to mention anything. All Board members can read the published letter in American Thunder III. Page 94 & 95. Old news.