Italian BM 59 Manual

The Wizard

Years ago when Springfield Armory was selling the BM 59 I contacted the Italian Ministry of Defence to see if they could supply any infomation on the BM 59. While going through some papers recently I came across their reply form long ago. For what ever reason all they sent me was a title page from a manual. That page read:

ISTRUZIONE

PER LA MAUTENZIONE E CONSERVAZIONE

DELLE ARMI PORTATILI

Fucile Automatico Leggero BM 59 cal. mm 7,62 NATO

(tipo normale - per truppe alpine - per paracaddutisti)

Fucile s. a. Garand cal. mm 7,62 NATO (tipo 1 e 2)

First, what is this manual? Second, does anyone know where I might obtain an original copy of this manual? Third, does anyone know where I might obtain an Engiish translation of this manual?

I'm with you for obtaining an actual military manual for the BM59. The most often seen manual, sometimes seen as a spiral bound book, is more a piece of multi language sales literature. Interesting and lots of info but not really what we accept as a military manual. Must be something out there, have asked many, but the cover sheet you provide is the only clue to anything that exists. One would think that there would also be something printed for the "E" models also.

If you find anything please let us know.

• 5 months later...

Years ago when Springfield Armory was selling the BM 59 I contacted the Italian Ministry of Defence to see if they could supply any infomation on the BM 59. While going through some papers recently I came across their reply form long ago. For what ever reason all they sent me was a title page from a manual. That page read:

ISTRUZIONE

PER LA MAUTENZIONE E CONSERVAZIONE

DELLE ARMI PORTATILI

Fucile Automatico Leggero BM 59 cal. mm 7,62 NATO

(tipo normale - per truppe alpine - per paracaddutisti)

Fucile s. a. Garand cal. mm 7,62 NATO (tipo 1 e 2)

First, what is this manual? Second, does anyone know where I might obtain an original copy of this manual? Third, does anyone know where I might obtain an Engiish translation of this manual?

I don't speak Italian,bu I did stay at home last night.....

INSTRUCTIONS

FOR THE MAINTAINANCE AND CARE

OF SMALL ARMS:

BM59 Automatic Rifle, Caliber 7.62 NATO

(Infantry type, Mountain Troop type, Paratrooper type)

Semi Automatic rifle Garand, Type 1 and 2, 7.62 NATO

If anyone else here has suffered through the DLAB test for the US Military, this wasn't too bad.

I grew up in Italy - I served as a medic in the Italian army in the mid 1980s, and the Beretta Garand 7.62 was the first rifle I ever shot!

If UK Armourer provided us with the pdf of the manual, I'd be more than glad to do the translation.

Claudio

PS Hal O'Peridol: great job with your translation! I will just add one more piece of info : "Fucile Automatico Leggero" (which literally translates as "light automatic rifle") is the reason why the BM59 was commonly referred to as the FAL rifle in the Italian Army

I grew up in Italy - I served as a medic in the Italian army in the mid 1980s, and the Beretta Garand 7.62 was the first rifle I ever shot!

If UK Armourer provided us with the pdf of the manual, I'd be more than glad to do the translation.

Claudio

PS Hal O'Peridol: great job with your translation! I will just add one more piece of info : "Fucile Automatico Leggero" (which literally translates as "light automatic rifle") is the reason why the BM59 was commonly referred to as the FAL rifle in the Italian Army

Thanks Claudio! Don't know any Italian, but since it is one of the so called "Romance" languages, it was pretty easy to figure out. Also helps that with 12 years active duty US Army, I am fluent in "Training Manual Speak".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Gentlemen, any progress scanning the Italian BM59 manual?

• 1 month later...

I have sent PM's to anyone who has asked about the manuals. I have not heard anything back from anyone! As for a translation, (and this is going to sound very bad but DO NOT take it the wrong way) today is not like the "good old days" when you could go down to "Little Italy" and find someone to translate it.

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year Everyone! Does this manual have illustrations? I have the spiral manuals and a couple of the magazines that feature the BM59/62/69 Garand Type E that we all probably have. LOL Just thinking out loud. Thank You to All in advance. Take Care and Be Safe. Have a Happy and Prosperous 2015!!!

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year Everyone! Does this manual have illustrations? I have the spiral manuals and a couple of the magazines that feature the BM59/62/69 Garand Type E that we all probably have. LOL Just thinking out loud. Thank You to All in advance. Take Care and Be Safe. Have a Happy and Prosperous 2015!!!

Yes it has a few pictures.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...