• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Petroleum 1

Petroleum 1

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 820 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

I was one of the bidders on the gun.   I've been looking for an MP38 for awhile.  Tube gun or not, MP38s are few and far between and this gun is in great shape, hence the reason for the price.   It's all a consequence of the dwindling supply of fully transferable machineguns and the ever growing demand.  And what better way is there to determine far market value, than to hold a public auction with no reserve where anyone can bid? 

Sorry you missed out maxfaxdude I was watching the bidding and that biddergw guy just wouldnt let go so who knows how much higher it could have gone.The last real MP38 i saw was $48k at the sar show in dec of '17. I did not realize how very few MP38's are out there in the registry so i guess this tube price is about 1/2 of a vintage MP38 so its not really out of line if you have to have a MP38. I agree the gun was in perfect condition and the tube was stamped exactly like the real german one.

#62 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2601 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:00 AM

maybe this price will bring a few more to market.

#63 83Baron

83Baron

• Board Benefactor
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

Maxfaxdude, no worries. The real thing will come along one day and you will be happy knowing the form 4 lists Germany as the manufacturer and not an American gun maker, assuming Charles Erb is American.

#64 maxfaxdude

maxfaxdude

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, I had to let it go at $26,500 but I wish biddergw the best.  He let the auction ending time get down to less than 1 minute several times before rebidding;  that drove me crazy.  I saw that MP38 at the SAR and the guy wanted crazy money for it.  So the quest continues....   

#65 Petroleum 1

Petroleum 1

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 820 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:12 PM

Yeah, I had to let it go at $26,500 but I wish biddergw the best.  He let the auction ending time get down to less than 1 minute several times before rebidding;  that drove me crazy.  I saw that MP38 at the SAR and the guy wanted crazy money for it.  So the quest continues....   

The seller at sar had a vintage MP40 also i think he wanted $27k for it. I was surprised to seem them just laying on a hard table for people to pick up and mess around with.

#66 The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Respected Member

• Board Donor
  • 1080 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:32 PM

These aren't as rare as it may seem.  You don't see many but they are out there.  Erb, Wilson, Inland, Harry O'Connell, Texas Arms Co (O'Connell affiliated?), and a few one offs.  A dealer that used to post on here occasionally had two tube guns in his inventory at once a few years ago as did the Ace Case guy that goes to KCR (or used to - I haven't been for a few years and memory fading on names).  STGs have sort of dried up in the same way - when I landed mine, you could count on a nice one surfacing every few weeks but not now.

#67 Garry

Garry

• Regular Group
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:WW2 guns, hog and rattlesnake hunting, benchrest target shooting, off roading, guitars, and Harleys.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:15 PM

My tube gun is a Inland and has the MP38 type tube. On the form 4 it has MP38-40 as the model.

#68 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3787 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:43 AM

Edited by colt21a, 17 April 2019 - 12:45 AM.

#69 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3787 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

Tried to post some pics would not work for postings from old server.It is true as you age less patience and less b.s. ha ha.....everybody enjoy the stuff.Ron

Edited by colt21a, 19 April 2019 - 02:37 PM.