Strange Winding Key

Lancer,

It is not the original winding key. It is obviously some sort of home-made fabrication. The drum itself, appears to be in poor shape based on the amount of pitting on the face plates.

Looks like a Worcester non-numbered drum with a Bridgeport cover, but the key....never seen one like it.

It DOES look somewhat more wellmade than a homemade effort...maybe a prototype of some kind?

Anybody's guess....

john

QUOTE (john @ Apr 18 2005, 11:57 AM)

It DOES look somewhat more wellmade than a homemade effort...maybe a prototype of some kind?

John,

I don't think it would be a prototype. The early winding keys are identical to the WWII variety drums. I think someone with some knowledge of metal fabrication made the key to replace the lost original.

The drum appears to be an early variation made just prior to WWII and the more common drums with the Thompson bullet logo. The recent Thompson Newsletter had an excellent article by Tracie Hill explaining the various drum variations manufactured right after Russell Maguire took ownership of Auto-Ordnance.

QUOTE (john @ Apr 18 2005, 11:57 AM)

I was thinking the same thing. Also noticed that the tabs on the key would seem to indicate it was meant to be wound counter-clockwise.