Magazines for MP 44

Hi Jack, Hi Ron, great to know you're both around and sparking :)

Hi Petroleum - yes, photo is from a movie set last year, following Covid rules, as you see in the background. I had to blabber all day, so I took three brain-scraper tests a week. I'm difficult enough to understand talking normally, let alone with a mask on.

The ten round mags from DK arms (SSD) are useful, but mine needed some machining to fit the WW2 guns.

If it means anything now, the old 1001 E-German mags were once a little cheaper, and I find them to often be more reliable in the guns than the WW2 mags, perhaps as they haven't been through a war on the losing side, lol.

I joke, I think it's more likely multiple owners and not being used in guns has probably malformed the feed lips on some of these old mags.

However...

I picked up a ground dug WW2 mag from Ebay a little while back, daylight through both sides, and it worked like a charm in the MP44, lol.

I currently wouldn't pay more than $400 for an MP44 mag, no matter what markings.

But, I know collectors who lust after things like the Czech lion, welded back piece, MKb markings, MP45 markings, etc.,

My personal favorite is the "lacquer finished" in the white style late-war mag (in rifle below) just because it looks neat and sort of typifies the desperate measures and no frills required of the time.

VdFa82il.jpg?1

QnEx58Sh.jpg

Edited by pitfighter

I have one SSD 10 rounder but have not tried it yet. I understand they are a tight fit. A few years back i sent Dan Block a few of those 30 round repro mags and he cut them down into 10 rounders. They fit perfect and work great. Dan did a great job on them.

I have an MP44 and about 12 mags - had more but sold and traded them, kept the best 12 to use.

With blanks at least the original magazines work a LOT better than the reproduction mags I have tried.

My guess is that the market amongst owners of the SSD guns, NFA guns and home-built semis is probably quite robust.

Sellers are just pushing to get as much as they can.

The batch (8-9) of MP44 mags on GB from MG34gunner were all bought and flipped with a $200 mark-up from one of the on line parts dealers.

I have about 300 rounds of steel cased East German in 15 round boxes that I won't ever shoot (and don't really recommend) and am selling, I bought before the Privi was widely available.

Mine now does most (all) of it's shooting with blanks from Atlantic Wall.

Me lining the old Haenel up for a shot.

haEoTETl.jpg

Dude, you look like Sean Penn!

"...Dude, you look like Sean Penn!.."

Hahaha!

The balding, poorer version.

I stay behind the camera, this is the actor who played the scene.

Timothy V. Murphy (Sons of Anarchy, Snowpiercer, True Detective.)

OuA74rbl.jpg

Sorry for messing this thread up about why MP44 mags are so expensive.

Well I started the thread so you get my full permission as I love your photos. Hey, really appreciate the advice on East German Mags. I have one and would like to get a few others as I do plan to fire my MP44 on occasion. Right now waiting on the transfer, so will be lucky to have it by September. I left the year off :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some designations, I do not collect these, so I don't have much variety, I just like mags that work consistently, but I am sure some members here have far better collections of rare types and manufacturers.

top down'ish: -

1001 East German Volks Police post war manufacture - these mags are great and work really well, in my experience. (Mine is super dusty as it is my "go to" magazine.)

The rest are all wartime manufacture:

MKB42 - MP43 - an earlier iteration - intended for the MKB42(H) it's beautifully blued and finished. Re designated for the MP43.

MP43 - The Model prior to the MP44

On the bottom is a late war white metal finish, it is incorrect to say these are "no finish" as they were finished with a thin layer of brownish/clear lacquer.

There are also two MP44 marked magazines, one is FXO the other QVE manufacture.

HqmCfU5l.jpg

Edited by pitfighter

Jesse i think you did geta pouch set of repros off me back when.. hopefully they all functioned tested. and he said sean penn. no more like a younger Nick Nolte. from Farewell To The King to me a very good action movie and a great story.Yeah a old guys opinion.

glad you are here.the board needs knowledge in all things guns and movies. RON K.

post-504-0-34546000-1614198785_thumb.jpg

That's me in BC, Canada at XXX armory - holding a Marstar Yugoslavian refinished MP44 (awesome green park), one of half a dozen examples on that rack.

I did buy a set of mags from you in the day, you're absolutely right. You had done some machine work to make them perfect if I recall.

Jesse the green parked type MP-44 is great and yes mags that are in the white have a sealing lacquer on them, they are final finished. And won't rust. Landies had a batch like that over 20 years ago from Europe source .He was able to get a few hundred like that all new unissued cond.Of course those days of finding anything new not issued are long gone.I tried years ago to get a MP-38 out of Marstar before they destroyed most of them. After some law changed with them..

Funny we now have become 'The Old Breed"

RON K.

• Upvote 1