L Type Drum Needs Fixing

Newbie here.

Found an old l type drum by auto-ordnance corp in the attic. WWII vintage. Spring doesn't seem to work.

1. Who can help me fix it without detarcting from its value?

2. Is it better selling as is or fixing?

3.- What would its value be?

Many thanx

Either Merle or PK either do great work. I hear that Merle is magic with the spring problems. If you don't want to fix it email me and I could use another drum. I have to get back to the 8 drum Mike statis.

Read the FAQ at the top of the board. All contact info is listed there.

The drum is actually an earlier pre-WWII drum. Be careful with this guy, I bought this same drum on auction on Gunbroker (item number 11943556) and paid $900 for it. The drum was described to be in mint almost new condition. It is far from the advertised condition. Major problems with the drum:

1. Feedlips are bent and have been filed down

2. Spring is broken

3. Retains only 50% finish

4. Some pitting on drum key

5. Major dents

6. Several deep scratches in the metal including on the rotor

7. Rotor has virtually none of the original nickel finish and is dark brown

8. Heavy cartridge marks inside

When I returned the drum to the seller, he blamed me for the broken spring (despite the fact that it didn't work when I received it, I never even attempted to wind the drum, and it was nowhere near the "almost new" condition it was adverstised as being in). The seller is now refusing to give me a refund and is trying as hard as he can to screw me out of my $900. In the condition it is in, you guys wouldn't want to have more then the cost of a dented cover plate and pitted winding key in it. This drum is completely unservicable and would require extensive work to restore. He is intentionally trying to defraud me out of my money, and I would strongly recommend that you guys be VERY careful in dealing with Amancay and Wentworth LLC in NC (they are one and the same).

Sincerely,

George R.

OBI

This may be the same knothead that tried to hump me a few years back by saying he sent the drum to me via postal mail. It was a internet auction, and he sent it un-insured, I paid for insurance and shipping via UPS that he didn't do, and then didn't want to refund my money saying I must have got it by now,until I did a police search on him and got his real phone number and began calling every 30 minutes to let him know the police and postal inspectors were investigating the mail fraud he was running. Amazing 3 days later, I got a money order from him with my full amount back.Not a sorry I forgot to mail it or hey, the mailman returned it. Actually he never had a drum and was scamming people. This name sounds real familiar. Maybe I should do another search.

Apparantly he has now sent the drum to Merle for an estimate on repair (despite the fact it was broken and nowhere in the "excellent almost new condition" it was purported to be in when we received it). We have yet to receive a refund from this guy. It has been almost a month now and he still refuses to refund our money. Unbelievable!

"Just found it in the attic" huh? Wonder where he got the $900 reserve price from considering that the other Thompson drums on Gunbroker don't usually get bid over $700 and they usually are almost new condition (bought a great Bridgeport for $700 on there)......