Khar Drum

Got my Khar L drum today. It will have to go to Merle. Absolute junk. PK was right, some are ok others are bad. I just got unlucky. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Kevin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kevin--

Did you actually try it out?

I just got my drum. The thing that I note right off is that the drum won't securely catch in place. I put it in my 28 and you can push it in, hear it click in place, and then continue to push it through without depressing the mag catch. Anyone else have that problem? I compared it with my bridgeport drum and the slide detent is more sustantial on the bridgeport

After fiddling with it for about 3 hours I got it to the point where the rounds would slide around the tracks without hanging up. With the cover off and the spring wound the drum will feed ok. However when the cover is installed the drum locks up and the rotor will not turn. I'm afraid the cover is too small.

Kevin

Just another Moonie scam - they should have stayed in airports, and selling Elvis on velvet door to door. There has never been any intention to sell a quality product.

It has always been interesting how many people will keep going back to be scammed time after time.

Willing to accept their crap knowing it may have to been sent off to someone to be made workable. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Be sure to get your names in early for the C drums - they need your money http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

As long as you accept the drums and don't sent them back for full refund this will continue and the product will never improve. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

This points out how many people want thompson items even if they don't work - all they have to do is look like a thompson item.

Of course you're entitled to your own opinion Ron, but people on a very tight budget like myself think its a deal to get the new drums at this price...even if I have to pay a little extra to get the drum worked on (which I don't, I tried my new drum today and it worked fine) it still beats paying $600 or however much Bridgeport etc. drums are going for these days.

But people on a very tight budget like myself think its a deal to get the new drums at this price...

I don't think Ron intended to offend anyone. It may or may not be a "Deal", considering how much time and money is required to make these Display Drums functional. Some may work fine now, but what about later? For what Kahr is selling these for, they COULD produce good functioning Drums, but until more people complain, Kahr will continue producing goods that require additional expense to make right. I think we would all love to be able to purchase good QUALITY Drums now that we have waited 10 years for the Ban to end. Unfortunately, this just isn't the case.

Nor do I feel it's appropriate for individuals to get these Drums repaired by a third party for additional costs. You PAID for a NEW Drum. It SHOULD work as intended. If one receives a POS, send the God damn thing back, and make Kahr responsible in sending you one that WORKS! If they send out another POS, send it back again, until they make it RIGHT! Kahr does reimburse Shipping Expenses..There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of shit. I've already been contacted by pissed off Folks complaining of numerous problems. If you folks don't say anything to the Manufacture, they will continue to produce this kind of CRAP! Box the Junk up and send it BACK!

Lionhart's right in that. Until they start getting these P'sOS back to repair or replace they will continue to produce crap. Send it back... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

This is why I had to laugh at Liberator's use of Khar and Quality Control in the same sentence..they have none. He's happy to have his M1 Tommy , even though the forearm's wrong, the rear sight is falling off, the front sight is rotating, and the safety has lost a part. .but to quote him..

All in all, for less than 1/10th the price of the real deal, I got a damn fun little Thompson!

BULLSHIT!! for the price he paid for a SBR Thompson it should do as well as a Browning or a Kimber..and not fall to fuck apart when he shoots it.

I'm really, really, really, confuZed.... I posted that certain knowlegable people had very strong feelings about the new drums prior to "the big buy", and was requested to hold my thoughts as they were second hand etc. Ok Fine I did that, and then when they did start shipping all I read was glowing positive feedback, making me think that I was in fact posting unreliable info. Now this thread is saying the opposite.... Am I redeemed, or am I still a blasphemer?

Yeah, but for how long? This is what I mean. I'm not going to trust or rely on anything that these folks produce...One minute it may work, and the next it doesn't. The Winding Key might jump off. The Spring may come unraveled. The Cover might explode..No thanks. If I were you 427sohc, dump several hundred or a thousand or more rounds through it. If the old Colt and WW2 Drums keep pumping the lead out after thousands and thousands of fired rounds, I'd expect a new one too.

Received mine today and have the same problem with very poor engagement of the magazine catch. On closer examination I discovered that (on mine at least) the front and rear plates are not positioned properly, making either the front mounting rail a little low or the rear rail a little high. This makes the drum angle slightly forward (away from the front surface of the stick-mag slide), so that the magazine catch just barely engages. Didn't even try to cycle ammo through it to check the tolerance of the spiral guides. Doesn't look too bad otherwise (cosmetically) apart from the kinked winding key which apparently had been badly bent in two places and very amateurishly straightened. Back it goes!

This is in no way a reflection on PK, who as far as I'm concerned went "above and beyond" in taking the time and trouble to put the group buy together. We knew the risks we were running with Kahr (but that doesn't let them off the hook). We paid for working drums, not movie props!

For what it is worth, I got mine yesterday from the group buy and then started reading this thread. I have a "pre-ban" West Hurley that I have dumped many times without one single hiccup. I decided to get both out and compare, without the use of micrometers. The parts intercahnge between manufatures and decades. The overall finish of the Kahr drum is better than the Westy and both fit identically in the receiver. I have not run it yet but do not see why it should be a problem compared to the Westy. I also paid several hundred dollars less thn I did almost two years ago for the coveted "pre-ban" NIB. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

All of that said, if I received a goofey one...it would be on the next big brown truck to Kahr, still with thanks to PK for his hard work on our behalf. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

PhilOhio,

"P.T. Barnum was no fool. Ponder his immortal words always. Especially when preparing to stuff money into MUN Sun-myong's pocket"

"I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but my gosh, why not just BE SMART? Listen to P.T. "

In the interest of clearing up revisionist history click the link below...

http://www.historybuff.com/head.jpg

I just received the drum today.

The "9" and "11" are now stamped correctly.

The 2 rear rivets still needed to be set correctly.

Some minor deburring was needed on the rotor fingers and the tracks.

The tracks had no alignment problems.

The front and rear brackets are poorly formed.

Overall fit and finish was better then the last Kahr drum I examined.

I think Kahr is going to have to raise the quality quite a bit if they ever plan to produce the C drum.

Drum arrived today, cycles well, but similar to Sgt.'s problem it slides right trough. I raised the mag catch bumps a tad and it works fine.

There seems to be a little too much slop between the drum rails and frame grooves.

The real challenge is counting the clicks, its more difficult than the X in that respect.

The finish is of better quality than the X made in 2003.

And a long way from the Worcester!

In reading all of the posts I wonder if the early drums had problems at first. And if the ones in circulation now are the tweaked ones. Just a thought.....

I know, I know, STOP Thinking!!!

LOL

Your o so right Lancer-Volumes its speaks- true dat.

I must also agree the only way to get Kahr to make a better product is to return them for all the reason stated above- But there is one result left out- they may well refund and not make anymore as they may decide they simple can't do it right- Likely? Possible? Who knows for sure-I don't

That may be a reason we buy them regardless and just get them fixed-

A real Catch-22

I admit I bought 3 and left them to PK to tune- I simple don't have the tools and ability to do it myself right now and I am tired of stick mags so I was willing to put up with a marginal product-Shame on me, http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif I realize that now.

I've got a call into Khar to return,replace my drum (good luck). I bought the drum viewing it as a bet. And you wonder why I don't go to Vegas? I have no beef with PK or anyone else who warned against purchasing Khar Krap. I wish I had the expertise to make a product like the drum, I could do a much better job and others could enjoy it. Maybe in my next life. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Kevin