M1928A1 found in an Austrian lake

A friend recently got this deactivated M1928A1, supposedly recovered from a lake in Austria. Part of the story is that it served with the British 1st Airborne (Red Devils).

Opinions, anyone? Production date?

Balder

Edit: Sorry about the picture orientation.

post-460-0-32246700-1526233003_thumb.jpg

post-460-0-69651900-1526233005_thumb.jpg

post-460-0-38130800-1526233007_thumb.jpg

post-460-0-70939700-1526233008_thumb.jpg

post-460-0-26440800-1526233011_thumb.jpg

post-460-0-61709800-1526233013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Balder

It is in the UK.... right? Rules are different than in the US.

Doesnt mean anything its 10 minutes to swap out barrels

While that is true, you get in BIG trouble in most of the European countries if you are found with any live barrel. Some countries you can have certain live guns with a special license. Deactivation rules differ depending where you are.

Andrew

While that is true, you get in BIG trouble in most of the European countries if you are found with any live barrel. Some countries you can have certain live guns with a special license. Deactivation rules differ depending where you are.

Live M1928A1s and M1s are comparatively common and really cheap in Germany -- I paid €800 for my AO M1928A1, these days they are probably around €1,000. These are original in all respects (Cutts, Lyman sights, 10.5" barrels, etc) except that they are permanently converted to semi. Heresy, I know, but that's how it is. I shoot mine a lot even so ;) All of these are Lend-Lease guns that came out of the former USSR.

Cheers

HANS

• Upvote 1

If im not mistaken I see the US ordnance bomb stamp

I see it as well, which puts the production date sometime from later 1941 to probably earlyish 1942. The U.S. Ordnance Dept. final inspection stamp from the flaming bomb to the crossed cannons during Oct. 1942. (ATIII pg. 104)

Andrew

lake gun looks better than some recent m1a1's for sale on gun broker(less pitting)just needs to be parkerized!....the bottom of a lake must be an excellent place to preserve a thompson :)

Edited by huggytree

HANS:

Please explain how the Thompson was converted to semi-auto only. Rules for conversion of an MG to semi-auto or manufacture of a semi-auto MG in the US are vry specific and strict. Would be interesting to know if you can take the time. Thanks.

I have seen a semi auto "permanent" modification, trust me is better to see it deactivated rather than "castrated" lol. of course first step is removal of the selector, second they cut the bolt on the bottom 80% of its lenght and some of the bolt height (to remove its channels) and insert a moving rod that acts on the sear, then the actuator is again modified, they mill the spring channel in order to insert another movable rod that strikes on the receiver, in this process they also mill a small portion of the b lock (in the middle, making it very prone to breaking).

Lastly, they insert one spring for each horrible device that so you end with three different springs, and a small plate to be inserted at the back. The system is so ugly and complicated, that the author would still deserve a medal for designing it.

Of course if one is able to swap parts, in this case everything except upper, you end up again with a mg

Edited by indochinavet

I respectfully disagree with the above post. I believe Ive seen the same build you are referring to. Was it the one built on a Phila Ord receiver? If so, I thought it came out more representative of a full auto Thompson then any current semi auto on the market. How can you ruin a Thompson when its a new receiver? Ive seen the same build using welded receivers. How can those be ruined when they are already cut up? A deactivated gun is just a fancy paper weight, no matter how original it may be. Edited by halftrack

I respectfully disagree with the above post. I believe Ive seen the same build you are referring to. Was it the one built on a Phila Ord receiver? If so, I thought it came out more representative of a full auto Thompson then any current semi auto on the market. How can you run a Thompson when its a new receiver? Ive seen the same build using welded receivers. How can those be ruined when they are already cut up? A deactivated gun is just a fancy paper weight, now matter how original it may be.

In many countries, deactivation does not touch the receiver. Most receivers are still 100% although I know that the new spec deactivation in England isn't anymore.

I know there was some that it was discussed in another thread, but there was a website in another country that was selling modified original 1928s to semi configuration. I'll have to see if I can find the page again.

Andrew

I respectfully disagree with the above post. I believe Ive seen the same build you are referring to. Was it the one built on a Phila Ord receiver? If so, I thought it came out more representative of a full auto Thompson then any current semi auto on the market. How can you ruin a Thompson when its a new receiver? Ive seen the same build using welded receivers. How can those be ruined when they are already cut up? A deactivated gun is just a fancy paper weight, no matter how original it may be.

I was not referring to any Phila Ord guns, but many EU "semiautomatized" registered 100% original Thompsons. Also not referring to any deact gun, as long as the chop barrel and bolts and weld it shut.

Indochina.... I would like to see the semi-auto European conversions. Are the plans readily available? Is it better than the Kahr design? Any photos would be much appreciated. Would the conversion pass the smell test in the US?

In the US, the receiver is the focal point. It must be destroyed upon entry. No conversion without that step is possible.

Indochina.... I would like to see the semi-auto European conversions. Are the plans readily available? Is it better than the Kahr design? Any photos would be much appreciated. Would the conversion pass the smell test in the US?

I will try to post some pictures later on, they modify only the internals, everything else (receiver side) stays the same. Honestly only because the mill out a portion in the middle of the b lock, i think its converted into a time bomb. Still shoots open bolt.