Who Can Do Knurling?

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Feb 26 2004, 10:08 AM)
If you click on "members" above, and navigate to "PK", you will be able to send E-mail to Thompson gunsmith extraordinary Paul Krogh, in Colorado, who will be most happy to answer your questions and help you. He has done work for many people here, and if you will look at some of the board traffic, you can't miss pictures of all sorts of work he has done. I haven't heard of any unhappy customers.

thanks.

email sent

A few years ago, I looked into doing a run of a few hundred 1928 actuators from the original prints, but the cost was too high to justify. The intended market would be the Colt guns that have AO or S actuators in them, and also as a supply of actuators in general, as they are a weak point on the gun.

I was hoping for about $100 each, sell for $200, but cost came in at about $300. Only way the cost could be reduced is make a few thousand of them, or get the original fixtures.

Doug

Feel free to get some made up, if you can do it cheaper. :-)

The expensive part is the cocking knob. Milling out the rest of the actuator is a piece of cake, but to take a billed, and mill it sufficently to put the actuator in a lathe, and turn the cocking knob, then mill out the slot, etc, get expensive. Not just the machine time, the tooling cost to make up the six to eight fixtures required.

Special fixtures must be made up to hold the part both in the mill, and in the lathe. That is why the original tooling is important.

Investment cast is a no go, due to the cocking knob, I doubt it would last would last 500 rounds. (I am intimately familiar with investment casting)

I would use 41XX series steel, and have it properly heat treated.

The idea of my project was to produce an actuator that would be indistinguishable from an original Colt (or whoever made the original '28 actuators), not just make an actuator.

Just making a machined actuator would be cheap, make it two piece, and weld the cocking knob onto the body, but that would be distinguishable from an original.

Doug