M3 Finally Home!

Finally got my Guide M3 Grease Gun! The transfer took right at 8 months from check cashed to approval.

Had a minor problem with the gun free running with a single trigger pull and release. It turned out that the bolt was a little beat up where the sear catches it.

I already had a parts gun so I just substituted the whole bolt and guide rod assembly and the gun runs great now. I may be able to file the damaged area of the other bolt so it works properly.

It didn't take long for us to run 500 rounds thru it, so I ordered some more ammo. :)

Just happy to finally have it in my hands after a LONG wait!

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/speartech/082_1.jpg

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/speartech/083.jpg

The thing I liked about this gun was the "Guide" logo stamped lower on the mag well so it's a little plainer to see. I live where Guide Lamp was and where all of these guns were made!

I'm not sure but from some of the grease guns I've seen, it looks like the lower serial number guns had the Guide logo down low, and then at some point on the later guns they rearranged the stampings and the Guide logo ended up partially hidden behind the mag release.

I'm thrilled to have this sub-gun!!

John

• Upvote 1

Good looking gun. Glad you finally have it.

My Guide Lamp ser 190xxx is as you said. The Guide is higher and you can read only the first two letters.

Yours looks better, I wonder why they changed.

Thanks guys! I really like the gun. It's a lot of fun to shoot. I'm always amazed by the stories I read about these and how late in the game they were still in use in tanks, etc!

Also, the history of these things; I wish this little greaser could tell its story.

John

Good looking gun. Glad you finally have it.

My Guide Lamp ser 190xxx is as you said. The Guide is higher and you can read only the first two letters.

Yours looks better, I wonder why they changed.

My Guide Lamp gun is 297XXX, the markings appear in almost reverse lines from your gun.

Top line is GUIDE

Then the Ordnance mark

Next line is U S NO

Last line is the serial number with 2 inspectors initials under it.

I had 2 M3's in my M60A1 at Fort Carson and 2 M3A1's in my tank in Germany.

I had the fun of engaging infantry silhouette's from the loaders hatch during "tank gunnery" downrange.

In Germany we had very little .45 ammo for training.

Richard