Can Someone Shed Some Light On S-339xxxnac ?

Hey gang, just went to see my Savage 1928A1 Thompson with NAC suffix at my local Class 3 as it awaits final transfer to me ! Gun looks to be in great shape, matching upper and lower, GEG/RLB proofs with bomb proof mark. It has a smooth actuator, Auto Ordnance Bridgeport address and patent numbers. Serial number is S-339XXXNAC....This gun was brought back into the US, any other info based on the numbers and description ?

Thanks in advance, and I will post pics once I take some this weekend....

Edited by Lotusnut

I own the brother of your gun, with serial number 332xxx.

The subject of NAC guns has just about been ridden to death here on the boards. You'll enjoy doing a search on the subject here and seeing what comes up! Opinions on their origins vary widely, with no two in agreement. I'd just suggest enjoying what you have, and I know that you will.

Unless it has seen considerable use or refinishing, I'll bet that your gun is in its original dulite (blued) finish, with a slightly frosty look to the blueing on the receiver. This was due to being sandblasted prior to finishing at the Savage factory, and it was done as an anti-glare measure. All guns that were refurbished in government arsenals had a parkerized finish.

I'll also guess that your gun (unless it has been modified) has the pin-style pivot and safety, a blued bolt, and a butt stock with a cross bolt. You'll remember that no M1928A1 TSMGs were produced in this configuration. So, how did a nearly new, matching TSMG acquire these features, and when? I dunno. Some swear that the guns were imported as is, and the NAC suffix added for legal reasons before sale on the civilian market. Others think that the guns were built up of componants left over when government contract production ceased and when Auto Ordnance assets were sold off after the war. Conspiracy theorists are pretty sure that the CIA was involved (kidding, here). Take your pick!

You'll probably also notice that when you fire your gun, it shoots precisely to the point of aim that you've set. This means that the original factory targeting is not disturbed. Is your rear sight held in place by stainless rivets? This is another hallmark of WWII guns, and never shows up in one that has been disassembled and refinished.

I know that you'll enjoy the gun. The NAC (Numrich Arms Corporation) suffix in no way reduces the desireability or collectability of the gun.

It doesn't matter what you paid; you did well!

QUOTE (TSMGguy @ Jul 17 2005, 04:11 PM)
I own the brother of your gun, with serial number 332xxx.<p>The subject of NAC guns has just about been ridden to death here on the boards. You'll enjoy doing a search on the subject here and seeing what comes up! Opinions on their origins vary widely, with no two in agreement. I'd just suggest enjoying what you have, and I know that you will.<p>I'll bet that your gun is in its original dulite (blued) finish, with a slightly frosty look to the blueing on the receiver. This was due to being sandblasted prior to finishing at the Savage factory, and it was done as an anti-glare measure. All guns that were refurbished in government arsenals had a parkerized finish.<p>I'll also guess that your gun (unless it has been modified) has the pin-style pivot and safety, a blued bolt, and a butt stock with a cross bolt. You'll remember that no M1928A1 TSMGs were produced in this configuration. So, how did a nearly new, matching TSMG acquire these features, and when? I dunno.<p>You'll probably also notice that when you fire your gun, it shoots precisely to the point of aim that you've set. This means that the original factory point of aim is not disturbed. Is your rear sight held in place by stainless rivets? This is another hallmark of WWII guns, and never shows up in one that has been disassembled and refinished.<p>I know that you'll enjoy the gun. The NAC (Numrich Arms Corporation) suffix in no way reduces the desireability or collectability of the gun. <p>It doesn't matter what you paid; you did well!

Thanks for the info ! Trust me. I'm tickled with the gun and the price !

I'll post pics soon....

• 2 weeks later...
Bingo Mike, I don't understand it all.... If there is any gun that you know who owns it, w/o question, it is a class III. Now I can see why some, hmmmm.... less than above board dealer might want to hide a number so you can't research it out.... But other than that, you put yourself more at risk just letting people on the WWW know that you own such an item, regardless if they know the number or not.....