Buffer Pilot Sits Crooked

I took my Savage out for the second time since I got it. The first time seemed to work ok, with only a few misfires. This last time I took it for a test and it didn't do so well. It misfired every third round. I checked the primer on the spent round and found that it was barely struck by the pin. Sometimes the indention was irregular in depth and position from other dud rounds. When I disassembled it for cleaning, I noticed that the buffer pilot would set at a slight angle. When you cocked the bolt it would straighten out and go into the actuator hole, but you could feel the spring spirals meshing with the hole as it lined up. I’m not sure if that is normal operation or not, or if it had anything to do with my malfunction. However it doesn’t seem to be a very smooth action. I changed the pilot with still the same results. I didn't have a new spring, but tried some old ones, still sits crooked. I wonder if the oiler bracket has anything to do with making the pilot to sit crooked. Help!

I have seen the oiler bent before and not fitting flush on the receiver causing the problem you describe. Take it out and see if the problem goes away. Easy fix to align the oiler. Also pilot hole/pilot shaft may be worn from the wobble or the spring is sagging due to age. Springs are cheap and a new pilot can be made to tighten up the clearance.

Kinked recoil springs can cause misfires. Springs get kinked through poor handling during assembly or disassembly and by Pilots that have a poor fit in the receiver and get cocked and/or are to short. GI receivers usually are to spec, but often GI contract pilots are a loose fit and most aftermarket are even worse. I make my pilots at max diameters and lengths.

The way the oiler frame sits in the receiver is important if the fit of the pilot is loose, causing the pilot to tip.

The pilot could also be bent; take the spring out and assemble everything else. Move the bolt assy back until the end of the pilot is just out of the recoil spring hole in the actuator and move it around in a circle as far away from the center line as it will tip. It should be an equal distance from the center line of the hole around the 360 degree circle.

There are lots of other things that can cause the misfires, but I hope this sheds some light on the pilot / spring issue you raised.