Inexpensive Thompson

"Inexpensive Thompson" That's a good one!

Sorry Joe but that has become an oxymoron. If your selling, Full Auto 45 has a standing offer of 10k.

If your buying and lucky you might find a West Hurley Thompson 'replica' for a minimum of 12k. WW2 models starting at 15K. I'm sure others will be happy to opine, or bloviate.

Welcome to the board.

QUOTE (John Jr @ Nov 30 2005, 05:29 PM)
You can get those ugly Kahr lookalike semi-auto non-working, pieces of shit for around $750.

Hey...my gun resembles that remark! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Rob

Is Kahr the only company that makes Thompsons? Or is it possible and reasonably cost feasible to build one? I'm just looking for a semi-auto SBR. I've got some background in gunsmithing having taken some courses during the summer in Trinidad, CO; I'm going to spending my whole summer there in 2006. The thing is that the only time that I've spent with a Thompson was years ago when I was in Special Forces and even at that it was only in training. I've got no clue where to even start if I wanted to build one or where to get the blueprints to build it as a closed bolt semi-auto.

I'm also curious as to myriad of different models. Is there a good website that gives a breakdown with pics on them?

Thanks,

Robert

arch stanon,

Welcome to the Board!

You could probably buy a bar of the proper steel from Doug Richardson to mill a semi receiver, a barrel from where ever (a number of sources - see FAQ for Parts), and the semi internal parts from Kahr, but I rather strongly doubt that it would be a cost effective means of obtaining a SBR semi-auto Thompson. Note on the Phil Ord thread of the scarcity of Phil Ord and Pearl Thompsons. It was just not cost effective to make them.

It would appear the lowest cost way to have a SBR semi-auto Thompson is to shop around for a good deal (less than $600???) for a nice used WH or Kahr semi-, register with the ATF for a SBR, get the 10.5" barrel, and perform the swap.

Best of luck with your project.

QUOTE (JimFromFL @ Dec 3 2005, 05:28 PM)
Cheap would probably be a poor reweld or a pretty rusty Thompson.

Or one o' dem thar Volunteer Arms specials! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Rob