M60's In Transferable Status

Guest title ii

Guest title ii

I am going to be buying a transferable M60 in the near future and wanted to gather more information about the ones that made it into the registry before 1986. Are there any books out there on the M60?

What are the most desirable M60's out there in terms of the different manufacturers who built them? Anything to stay away from?

I want one already has been upgraded to MK43 MOD 0 status or can be sent to US Ordnance for upgrades.

Any help is appreciated.

I am going to be buying a transferable M60 in the near future and wanted to gather more information about the ones that made it into the registry before 1986. Are there any books out there on the M60?

What are the most desirable M60's out there in terms of the different manufacturers who built them? Anything to stay away from?

I want one already has been upgraded to MK43 MOD 0 status or can be sent to US Ordnance for upgrades.

Any help is appreciated.

title ii,

Welcome to Machinegunboards.com! Actually, the M60 is a void in the world of firearm books. No one has written a book on the M60 yet, to my knowledge.

I'll leave your additional questions to others who have more M60 knowledge.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 4 weeks later...

First off, it's belt feed so it requires a bit more attention, care, and feeding than say an M1A1 Thompson :rolleyes: NIB is always better than used. Knowing that, here's my opinion on the hierarchy of transferable guns:

Original Saco Lowell, Saco Defence, Maremont, and the other USGI manufacturers (Springfield Armory?) and the "C&R" guns are the most desireable and expensive.

Then you have the "not as desirable" or as expensive RIA's, Phoenix, Stemple (heard rumor that he took un-cut original guns and just stamped his name on them from a friend who owned one), various rewelds (have someone who knows what they are looking at). Erb (not so sure about. I've heard complaints about some of Erb's other items, so ya never know). There are other makes out there, but I'm having difficulty recalling their names. I have a Phoenix with a rewelded trunion. It looks like a s s, but it runs pretty good and it was cheap, so.....eh, it's an M60. Fills a hole for me for now.

Small Arms of the World has a small section on M60's. Definitely pick up as many different GI manuals as you can.

If you go to Subguns.com, there are some very knowledgeable people such as Werner who can write a short book about it.

Parts are out there, but have gotten expensive over the last few years. Good luck.

Edited by Waffen Und Bier

Correction to the above. There is nothing wrong with Charles Erb's M60s. I think that they're among the best of the non-military-produced guns because he used quality steel and he put the serial number on the trunion, not on a side rail. The man has built hundreds of machine guns over the years and he's still out there and available for consultation of you ever have a problem with anything he built. But realistically, almost any gun built pre-86 has had any problems fixed by now, so I wouldn't be worrying about such things too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Hoel wrote "The Civilian M60 Machinegun Owners Guide" in 2003. It originally appeared as a 6 part series in SAR in the same year. It approaches the ownership of a M60 GPMG from a civilian's point of view, detailing how it works, how to treat it and what to do when something breaks.

It's being republished by the author on machinegunpriceguide.com. Currently it's a work in progress of text with no images but can be accessed directly only via the link http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/m60_part_1.HTM

It will answer many questions of how the transferable guns were made and which are the most (and least) desirable.

Guest title ii
Tom Hoel wrote "The Civilian M60 Machinegun Owners Guide" in 2003. It originally appeared as a 6 part series in SAR in the same year. It approaches the ownership of a M60 GPMG from a civilian's point of view, detailing how it works, how to treat it and what to do when something breaks.

It's being republished by the author on machinegunpriceguide.com. Currently it's a work in progress of text with no images but can be accessed directly only via the link http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/m60_part_1.HTM

It will answer many questions of how the transferable guns were made and which are the most (and least) desirable.

Thank you so much for this link!