Building A Dummy

Guys...

I'm new to the site, so bear with me...

I have what I hope is a simple question: I would like to build a dummy Thompson for display and/or scaring my nosey next door neighbor, and I was wondering that if I bought a dummy receiver from Philadelphia Ordnance or Mr. Richardson, can I in fact also purchase ALL of the necessary parts to complete a gun? I would like to be able to work the action or bolt, and attach/detach the magazine, etc. just like a fully operational one (is this legal?)...my thoughts (or theory) was to buy a service/tech manual (showing all the parts and assembly steps), then buy the receiver, then finally all of the necessary parts (as time and money will allow) before assembling the whole she-bang. Am I nuts or what? Will doing it this way cost me an arm and leg, or should I shop for a DEWAT? Anything you guys can tell me will be a world of help!

Thanks,

Not Afraid of a Challenge in Florida

Yup. You're nuts alright. First, building a dummy gun so you can "scare your nosy nextdoor neighbor" is a surefire (no pun intended) way to get your butt thrown in the pokey. It doesn't matter if you point a toy gun, a dummy gun, or anything in between. For your neighbor, the threat is real enough (even if the gun isn't) to get you charged with brandishing a firearm, assualt, or worse, get you shot by your neighbor (or the police.) Plenty of people have been arested for armed robbery using cap guns, water pistols, and even sticks. Do youself (and the rest of us) a favor and buy a Sony PlayStation2 and a copy of Medal of Honor...take your aggressions out on virtual Nazis.

As for building a dummy gun, yes, you can buy a dummy receiver from Philly Ord, Doug Richardson, or any number of sources. Add the requisite surplus parts and you'll have a decent dummy TSMG. There's no law against the dummy using a functional magazine either. Where you'll run afoul of the law will be milling out the receiver to accept a bolt (and especially a reciprocating bolt...that would more or less give you a functional gun, and an unregitered functional TSMG at that.) If hellbent on building one to scare your neighbor, stick with a solid dummy receiver and leave it solid. IIRC, most of the dummy receivers look like they have a bolt in them anyways.

Also if you buy a unfinished reciever and make it a working full functioning gun, you will be somebody's prison bitch for the next 10 years and cost you about $250,000 on top of everything else you lose. Remember, "They don't call it the pokey for nothin', boy." http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

The boys are right. Plus, having "the service manual" alongside the "functioning" dummy gun might just make the ATF's day while visiting your home. Hope we don't seem like we're to rough on you on your 1st post, but we're all giving you the straight stuff here. Some prop houses in Chicago have stopped renting the solid resin Thompsons to theme parties, because they don't want to be liable if some idiot takes it, knocks off a gas station or convience store, and gets his butt shot off by the station guy or the police.

Just buy a Kahr display model.

http://www.tommygun.com/ao_t1dm_f.html

But don't use it to scare your neighbor. The nights in Kansas can get pretty lonely. (On not lonely if you're even less lucky!)

Hardrede,

I completely understand where you are coming from. I get people asking all the time if the semi's I sell on my site can be converted to full auto. No doubt some of them are LEO's that would like to catch me out there but, some, i beleive, are just regular folk that do not know the law and at least venture to ask and find out before making a really stupid move. Unfortunately if you ban one...another will just take thier place so I am not convinced on how effective that would be. I think our best defense to this kind of test would be to continue to promote responsible, LEGAL practices in the hobby and foster a positive view.

Best,

Damon

treborsnikwad

Dude, I know about nosey annoying niebors, mine called the PD for me drinking 1 beer while mowing my yard after work.

If you have to use something to scare the niebor and get in trouble you could come into your drive sideways and light up your tires, or perhaps a cataput or water winger. You'll have just as much masakistic fun in the county lockup for public menace and or disterbing the peace, with the bonus you DON'T get shot by niebor or police.

Branishing a weapon, even a potato gun; or something easly mistaken for a weapon will get you a ride in a squad car, and or hopital for gunshot wounds.

You can build a dummy thompson, have the mag release, trigger pull and selectors work, but if you mill out for a bolt, even a non functioing one you get to be someones "wife" in the FED's grey bar hotel for TEN years, see above posts for the bonus of the fine. Challanges are good, flames are bad.

I'm sure there are some George Haduke websites out there where you can cause mayhem without involving anyone here; stunts like threatening ones niebor with fax Tommy give gun owners a bad name. Responsable posts only please.

BB

Not to disparage our listing colleage but I was once told by a Prosecuting Attorney that the hardest thing for beginning PA's to learn was to not attribute to malice what is likely mere ignorance or stupidity. I believe the average (and median) IQ of the typical state or federal prison population is well under 85. (Which upsets a number of "civil libertarians").

By first asking a reliable resource (i.e., the Board) our colleage has hopefully avoided the negative consequences of acting before knowing what he or she was doing.

Good luck with your neighbor and if it does not work out, you can always move.

I would have to agree with most of the comments expressed here. If you want to put together a good Thompson SMG Display Gun, you can't do any better than purchasing one of Doug Richardsons Display Receivers. Also, I really doubt that if one owns a Display Thompson along with a "Service Manual" that one would be in any kind of trouble.

Talk about fraggin’ a guy’s ass!...

First of all, I would like to thank the non-judgmental members out there who have enough compassion inside for us “new guys on the block” not to blast them personally or attack their character for asking a few simple questions…I’ll admit that I’m new to this hobby, and I’ll also admit that my quote about ‘scaring my next door neighbor’ was in poor taste considering the Nation’s current mental predisposition for branding all gun owners and hobbyists as ‘militia and/or supremist’ extremists. I really appreciate those of you who took the time to ‘educate’ me in my ways (hell, how is a guy supposed to learn if he doesn’t ask questions?)…I thank you for your patience and guidance. I hope to glean more information from your vast reserves of knowledge in the future if you have no objections.

As for you ‘other guys’, it’s about time you steeped down from your collective soapboxes, thinking that you personally own this hobby or are its sole goodwill ambassadors…you may think it’s funny to blast a guy for his earnest questions, or to make fun of this username, but I’ll tell you that it leaves a bad taste in my and I’m sure in many other readers mouths to think the hobby is made up of offensive, simple-minded, opinionated hobbyists like yourselves…I don’t need your smart-assed quips about me, I just need your honest answers to my questions…hell, I thought that’s what this site was for. As far as being a criminal, I do not now nor would I ever ask anyone to promote any illegal activity, nor am I a LEO (what would you guys have to worry about anyway, if I were? Surely, you’re not doing anything ILLEEGUL now, are you?).

Having said this, I’ll now get off MY soapbox and send my thanks again to the guys who REALLY helped me.

Treborsnikwad…duh…Robert Dawkins

Robert:

I was wondering if you'd come back...

Welcome to our forum. And don't worry about it. Always lots of ideas and opinions flying around here.

Enthusiasts,

I’m really sorry that my simple post has caused such a ruckus among the members. I was really only trying to be enlightened on the various aspects of the hobby. I guess I could have contacted the BATF with my questions, but your forum seemed to be a more ‘user-friendly’ and personable site, and the only efficient way to get ‘real’ answers from the guys who own these wonderful firearms. I can appreciate the fact that some of you deal with this business for a living, and I would never ask Mr. Hardrede to do anything wrong or to compromise his work ethic, personal integrity or jeopardize his profession in any way…to be honest, I live in Florida and if I’m not mistaken, he lives in Michigan, and I don’t have any ulterior or subversive motives in mind AND I don’t give a damn what he does…live and let live is my time-honored, American-Way motto. What you do is YOUR business…I mind my own. If I inadvertently ask a question that borders on ‘illegality’ or makes you uncomfortable, I assume you’ll be professionally responsible enough NOT to answer; let someone else do it. Even if you feel compelled to do so, then do so by all means: only, don’t make it personal.

If I sounded like a LEO and made a few of you paranoid, then sorry for that, too…the quip about the ‘next door neighbor’ was just that: a poor joke. But, as a gun owner (Colt 1911, various rifles) and as a professional land surveyor who has had SEVERAL guns pulled on him by paranoid landowners in the course of my 24 some-odd year career, I feel that above a lot of people I have the right to think the quip was ‘funny’. Staring down the barrel of a Colt 1911 .45 isn’t a laughing matter, until much later…trust me.

But enough of this. I’m not here to preach or to make people leave the forum; I think we’re all in this for the information and knowledge we can share or impart to others. I’m not going to ask that people be removed or to leave, but neither am I going to kiss someone’s ass to make them feel validated...and I’m not responsible for other people’s opinions of you. If you want to leave Mr. Hardrede, then go. But the knowledge you have to share will be sorely missed by all, and that would be a shame…we need everyone who is upright and law-abiding we can get to help bring more interest to this great hobby, focusing on the Great Gun.

I WILL write again and I WILL ask many questions, as long as you guys are accepting of me and my intent.

Thanks for the opportunity to reply.

Robert Dawkins

• 4 months later...

If you just want something to fondle while watching the history channel, (NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT) I would suggest the following:

Tokyo Marui Airsoft Thompson All Metal Replica

It is a PHENOMENAL copy and you can even use it to run geese out of your yard.

Just to echo the other members here, there are some very strong laws against brandishing firearms. These laws also apply to replicas, dummy guns, etc. where the person you are scaring (you don't even have to threaten) just THINKS it is real.

If you want to freak your neighbor out mow your grass in a thong. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Robert--

I just had to jump in and welcome you to our group. Sorry things got off on the wrong foot. Most of us are passionate about our interests and do a lot of serious introspection when it comes to staying legal. Maybe you felt a little of that. At any rate, glad you share our enthusiasm for the Thompson. I've got a couple of solid receiver dummy guns and derive a great deal of pleasure examining them. Unfortunately, it could cause problems if you install any kind of moveable cocking knob on them. To simulate full auto action, go with the Japanese model gun corp. I've got one of those and can tell you that they are well made. If you can find the caps, you can make lots of MG noise and the bolt will actually cycle. It is my understanding that they have been fully examined and approved by the ATF.

I keep my nieghbors wondering with a tokyo mauri M1A1 Thompson. They shoot plastic bbs at a realistic rate of fire, the magazine catch, selector and safety all work just like the real thing and the bolt can be retracted. They wiegh a little less than the rel thing but are not light. It has a very solid feel. I use mine for displays of US infantry weapons. Oh, did I mention they are great fun to shoot? I have a rack with beer cans tied to it and i shoot them from my deck. It's a real crowd pleaser at parties too. Edited by timg953