Shortening 16.5" Barrel

Bob,

You can shorten the barrel and weld or solder the compensator on for a total of 16 inches and be ok. As long as the comp is permanently mounted to the barrel it counts. I beleive this is the case on Project 'X'? It is not too much trouble to do...but I would have an experienced gunsmith do the work to align the comp correctly.

Good Luck,

Damon

Another alternative is to have the compensator moved back, so that the front of it is lined up with the front of the barrel. Then permanent attachment is not an issue, and it gives you a 1/2" of safety if a cop ever calls you on the barrel length.

Jeremy

A minor clarification on Damon’s post; the technical definition of “solder” is a process that occurs at less than 800 dF. In order to be in line with the law you need to silver braze (1100 dF min) or weld.

Both the modifications described make a big difference in the appearance of the semi gun, especially if used with the horizontal foregrip. Deerslayer is making longer horizontal foregrips and I would that only an inch longer would be very pleasant with a 16” overall barrel.

I do both modifications and they are both excellent, it depends on weather the customer wants the Cutts to work and is willing to clean it, or not.

the comp is 2 1/2" but the last 1/2" is threads. theoreticly you could cut the barrel to 14" and braze or weld the comp on but I'd lean tward 14.100 or so just to make sure the BATFE can't split hairs on measuring.

BB

Bisley45,

The 1927 A5 is the pistol version and starts out with a barrel length of 13.5 in. I know that putting a 10.5 in. barrel is too short to be within the non-NFA compliance. There is something to do with over-all length of the firearm because of the front pistol grip that limits the length. I just dont know how short I can have the barrel if the Cutts is added to the length by permanently affixing it.

Hi Theopolis,

When permanently attached accessories are present, the “barrel” includes these in the length specification. A permanently attached Cutts on an A5 barrel would make the length exactly what it was prior to the attachment.

Therefor (using round numbers), if the A5 stock barrel is 13”, cut 2” and add the comp to make it 13” again.

Some acceptable forms of permanent attachment are: Welding, brazing, silver brazing (1100 dF min), blind pin (welded).