WTB: M1918 early rear site

I contacted the nice folks at OOW and received a nice WW1 rear site. I had bent the ears on my original due to weight

of a R75. I think I still have the bent one somewhere.

I don't remember the sites being stamped with a makers mark.

Darryl

Richard,

I only saw the site bases, not a complete rear sight.

Did I miss something?

Darryl

I phoned OOW, employee on the phone sounded confused that I would have a real m1918, and that they don't have any parts for the military guns.

Thanks for the lead at Apex. I was hoping for a complete site. If I strike out I will go with trying to piece one together.

Nothing yet BPinFL. I will send you a PM!

Thank you all for the replies and help, its great to see all the involvement on these boards; I am honored to be a new member of this BAR community.

Good evening Johnsonlmg41, I have some pictures posted in this thread: http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23933

Its certainly no safe queen, and as you see it has the A2 site now. It looks like that could be a good match to this old Winchester. I will shoot you a PM.

MrBill,

talked to Rick from BMG Parts @ the phoenix SAR show and he said OOW was done with the BAR and their parts? Truth according to him?----------------------------------------------------------------

Were you led to believe that the semi 1918A3 will no longer be made???

Jim C

• 2 weeks later...

Rick Simply said that OOW was done with the BAR He did not elaborate much on their business plan. I do not believe they even had a table at that show. But Jim,now that I have your attention,quik newbie BAR question. I have a early milled rear sight base and the early rear sight slider but no ladder. Somewhere I thought that the ladder from a 1917 enfield rifle was very close to the BAR ladder.Can these interchange? if not,does anyone out there have a early BAR rear sight ladder for sale? Happy Belated new year to everyone.

Bill,

Per Ballou's book the M1917 Enfield rear sight is 2-5/16" long from the screw hole to the top of the bar and the M1918 BAR sight is 2-1/16" long from the screw hole to the top of the bar.

Andy

Thanks Andy So the Enfield sight ladder is 1/4 inch longer than the BAR .Does anyone know if the Enfield will fit in the BAR sight base without modifications using the BAR screws? Has anyone tried this with success?

MrBill,

I recently bought one of the M1918 sight bases ("good condition") from Apex but they did not have a complete ladder. Apex has the slides I believe. I bought a complete M1918 BAR ladder from BMGparts (their very last one I was told) and one of the axis screws, but I was still missing the slotted round nut for the axis screw and a spring. From research on the M1918 BAR I read that the rear sight was borrowed from the M1917 rifle. I saw that Numrich has M1917 rifle sight parts and they looked exactly like what I needed for the BAR, so I ordered one of their axis screws, one of the round slotted nuts, and a spring. The screw and the nut fit perfectly on my BAR sight body, and the leaf spring also will work, but I need to drill the mounting screw hole larger. Numrich has the entire sight ladder for only $29. I don't know if the width is the same as the BAR sight ladder.

Edited by cantgrowup

Bill,

The sight ladder for the 1917 and the BAR are about the width approximately .720", the inside dimensions for both sight bases are 1 Inch. You should have no issues using the 1917 sight until you find a correct 1918 Bar sight.

Andy

• 1 year later...