Help ID M1

Looking at an AO Bridgeport M1 with a ss#33*,***, RIA proof mark, flaming pot mark, and a barrel band. Would Rock Island have rearsenaled these? Whats up with a barrel band on it? Could that be legitimate or does that make it suspect to being a reweld or something less desirable? Metal fnish looks too nice but wood looks appropriately used.

What would this be worth? 20k?

Does NFA paperwork list if it is C&R or no? Just says Auto Ordnance I think.

Im new at this so appreciate any insight.

Looking at an AO Bridgeport M1 with a ss#33*,***, RIA proof mark, flaming pot mark, and a barrel band. Would Rock Island have rearsenaled these? Whats up with a barrel band on it? Could that be legitimate or does that make it suspect to being a reweld or something less desirable? Metal fnish looks too nice but wood looks appropriately used.

What would this be worth? 20k?

Does NFA paperwork list if it is C&R or no? Just says Auto Ordnance I think.

Im new at this so appreciate any insight.

Welcome to the board! It sounds like you have a post war arsenal rebuilt gun. Rock Island did perform rebuilds and yours is marked as such. The foregrip band was added to the gun because of the weak riveted foregrip. It would help if you could post multiple photos of the gun for an accurate evaluation. Does the serial # on the side of the receiver match the serial number on the lower frame? Its usually obvious when a gun has been rewelded but again picture will help rule that out. You may want to pick up a book called American Thunder Military Thompson Submachine Guns by Frank Iannamico. Its for sale on eBay and other sites.

Yes its a C & R gun and is worth around 20K depending on condition etc.

Just looked at it further. Looks in good condition but I suspect reweld from possible marks around magwell area. Ill post some pics in a few. If reweld how much does that affect the value? No SS# on the lower.

Let me know if you think that is a reweld mark and if the rear sight is bent. If it is bent is that a big deal? If it's a reweld is that a good or bad one. What's a fair value for the thing?

New guy here so any help is appreciated.

I agree something doesn't look right in the magwell area plus the front of the receiver is discolored and shows in my opinion like the receiver was at one point tack welded to the barrel. Was the gun a Dewat - Deactivated War trophy? I don't think the bent rear sight is a big deal. That is the reason why they went with the protected sight on later models. I think that can be fixed rather easily. There are some Thompson restorers on these boards who will probably voice their opinions on the gun.

There was a gun recently sold by David Spiwak and it rewelded. It sold in a few days for 13K. I'll let people with more knowledge give you an estimate on its value. Here is one on Gunbroker and he is trying to get 18K.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=554448301

Edited by Thompsonlover

Looking at your pics I would say it is not a rewelded (sorry Ron, "welded") receiver. There is some dirt in the corner by the breech, but the cutter marks are continuous throughout the length of the receiver and that is either a great weld job or original.

I would be proud to own it.

If one was really curious, would magnafluxing the area in question yield any info?

The "dirt in the corner by the breach" is that the smudging spattering on the right side in front of magwell? Does that mean that part was dirty right there when reparked? I also see sligjt discoloration behind magwell about at the end of charging handle channel that goes all the way around receiver.

Looking more I see what you say about discoloration - very slight. I think I meant the dirt is in the Rear of the magwell opening, not the front.

Only thing that bothers me now is the squareness of the magwell cutout when viewed from the side view. Here are some West Hurleys that are coming up for auction today that I snipped pics from. Note the larger radii in these corners. I wish I could find a better picture though.

m1 3.JPG

m1 2.JPG

M1 1.JPG

Edited by giantpanda4

Square cornered GI 28 mag well = welded.

On the M1, the radius is very small, and it's hard to tell from these photos.

To me, the discoloration at the receiver nose looks like a welded barrel Dewat that was restored.

Edited by mnshooter

If a REWAT (reactivated DEWAT) a FOIA request might tell you when it was first registered and when a Form 1 reactivation was filed.

How does this info affect value? Gentleman's story is that it was bought from an auction in 1988. Paperwork says AO as manufacturer and transferred to current owner in 1988. Does this make it's value more around 12k maybe?

It is difficult to tell for sure from the photos what "restoration" has been done to this gun.

From what I can see in the photos - and the photos are not that close and detailed - it does

not appear that the receiver was welded. However - I agree with others that the traces of

a tack weld are visible on the right side of the receiver.

The Parkerizing job is not original. its the wrong color and texture and the over zealous

person who did it parkerized the buttstock reinforcing bolt and washers. This was never

done when guns were reworked.

If the gun is in fact a restored gun that had a tack welded barrel replaced probably worth

about the same a s a West Hurley.

My $0.02

Bob

I have never spent much time researching the M1 Thompson variation but 15K for an original Thompson gun in today's market is a good price. You have comments above from some very knowledgeable Board members. My first impression based on the right side of the receiver nose was this Thompson was at one time a dewat, then became a registered dewat and finally an active machine gun. I do not like how the grip mount fits in the slot (not all the way to the rear & does not appear to fit flush with the receiver) but this may be common on this variation. During the manufacturing process at this point in World War II, speed was important. The product was needed!

I also like the RIA and FK markings. You may want to test fire it a few hundred rounds to insure it operates perfect. Be sure and test single fire.

Let us know what happens.

If that was mine I would put a big crescent wrench with nice flat square jaws on the rear sight and just give it a gentle pull.

I had two M1A1 sights that were pried off the guns they came off of, they were twisted up pretty good.

A few minutes with a bench vise and the aforementioned crescent wrench squared up the sights perfectly. It's mild steel and bends easily.

I wouldn't use anything with textured jaws, you'll scratch the finish or gall the metal.