Nac '28 On Autoweapons.com- Comments?

POR in their case is Price on Request as the pictures are already posted online.

pat k I bet you are close to his POR with your estimate of $30k. Autoweapons has always been up there on prices and how many times to you see a NEW NAC gun?

I don't see how the NAC serial number suffix adds any value to this Thompson. It appears to be a one time British Lead Lease Thompson that was imported back to the USA by Numrich Arms Corporation. I would think the price and value of this Thompson would be based on condition, matching upper and lower and British Markings. This does not appear to be a Thompson manufactured by NAC. Have excellent condition Savage 1928A1 Thompsons reached the 30K price range?

I bought my 28NAC last year about this time for half the price that is listed....have prices gone up that far in less than 12 months?....I don`t believe NACs are worth anymore than non-NACs...21k is in the nice Colt range...".askin` ain`t the same as gettin`"... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm not understanding correctly), the NAC suffix guns were sent from the U.S. overseas, then sent back (imported, as it were) at which time the "NAC" suffix was stamped on to the serial number. Assuming that is true, since the photo appears to show the "NAC" blued over, there would be a strong presumption that this gun has been refinished. I would not consider a refinished gun "new, new, new" as this one is advertised.

I'm also somewhat puzzeled by a cross-bolt stock on a '28 with ladder type Lyman sight. Again, correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but I believe the cross-bolt stock came along after the ladder type Lyman sight was discontinued in favor of the "L" type sight.

Not to beat a dead horse,AF...but I just saw a 3 digit Colt and drum sell in that range 2 months ago...it would have been mine if I didn`t have three pending NFA in the works...there are still some reasonable deals out there,if ya keep looking... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

MP....a parts gun is a parts gun is a parts gun...your understandings are correct.

In response to the comment all NAC guns were sent overseas - I am in the process of buying a

28 marked NAC after the serial number. Its marked "tommy gun" on the top rear. The Bbl is a bastard with a comp that has a set screw in the botton. This gun has no english marking of any kind and I don't think it has ever been out of the country. This gun is a true parts gun.

I have read that not all NAC gun ever left the US. It appears NAC put together guns from parts left over before making the WH guns.

Response?

I believe that many if not most NAC suffixed M1928 and M1928A1 TSMGs were complete, original guns imported by Numrich, and had the NAC stamped on the receiver and frame for legal reasons. Many may have come from countries other than England, and have no English proofs, or were from English lend-lease stocks never intended for issue and so never made it to the proof houses. We'll probably never know. Maybe some NAC suffixed guns were assembled from parts, but I believe that others were imported in various conditions in their original configurations, and will have matching serials today to prove it. Parts guns and those that have been through one of the many overhaul facilities will have neither blued finishes nor matching serials.

My own gun, S-332xxxNAC, is a beautiful M1928A1 with a "bright" bolt, milled swivels, flat, plain pivot and safety, plain actuator, adjustable Lyman rear sight, and no-crossbolt stock. It has almost all of its original dulite finish, and the NAC suffix is stamped through the original bluing. All original factory index and punch marks are present, and the original factory targeting is undisturbed. The serials match, top and bottom, and are identical in style.

I don't believe that the gun is worth less just because of the NAC stamp. Someone is going to buy that "unused" NAC '28A1 and they'll probably be more than happy with it, but they should inspect it closely. I did see another NAC '28A1 recently that I believe was a parts gun. It had pin-style pivot and safety, a cross-bolt stock, stamped swivels, and the serials mismatched. The bluing was very even, with the same color and sheen on all parts,unlike the originals. The rear sight ladder had been blued, rather than left bright.

Not to beat a dead horse,AF...but I just saw a 3 digit Colt and drum sell in that range 2 months ago...it would have been mine if I didn`t have three pending NFA in the works...there are still some reasonable deals out there,if ya keep looking...
21 smoker

What exactly is "in that range?" Is $25K in that range? What is a "reasonable deal?" Is $21K now a reasonable figure? When did that figure hit "reasonability?" Is $30K-$35K "unreasonable" now, (even though they are bringing that coin today) but will be considered reasonable at some undefined point in the future? Of course there will be a "deal" on a Colt TSMG out of the scant 10 or 12 that appear for sale on a yearly basis. But while a buyer is biding their time for that needle in a hay stack, the market has moved beyond what they would have paid at that moment.

Why would the seller only want $21K for a 90+% Colt TSMG and Colt drum? I mean 1928 WWII TSMG's are getting that now. If you passed on that deal, why not advise some others in here as to this deal two months ago?

AF,..`reasonable`is a relative term I used based on the prices seen here and on the selling boards on SG,STURM,etc....I agree the market does move very quickly at times, however that movement isn`t always unilateral...as far as 90% condition,that would be a subjective matter that leaves room for negotiation on the final price....thus my intent when I said `in the range`..and finally,as to why I didn`t advise other members of this deal 2 months ago...it was offered to me on a client basis...there was a list of people the seller had in mind to offer it to and the next person on the list bought it...the price was the sellers ,not mine,as well as, who was offered the Colt. It was not up to me to offer the gun to anyone here..it never belonged to me,however I would be happy to pass along info on a deal to a fellow member if given the opportunity...the original post was a request to comment on the price of the 28NAC,that is what I did...most of the Colts I`ve seen imo are nice..subjective ,I know, but that`s just me... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif