M3A1 Receiver Damage

Hello,

Please give me your opinions on this one.

This type of damage has been mentioned here before. It is noticeable, but I have seen worse. How serious is the damage to this receiver for safety and function?

Does it need repair or will changing to an M3 retaining plate be good enough? Who can perform repairs, even if just for appearance.

Thanks

fullsizeoutput_7a4.jpeg

Someone pounded the crap out of the back of the receiver around the guide rod locating holes. The rear fade of the receiver on these guns was shaped convex and the impact of firing will not "bulge" it to the point where it needs to be beaten back with a hammer. The spine of the weld will need to be ground open slightly, the crack thoroughly cleaned of oil and crud, rewelded and recontoured. The areas around the hammering will need to be weld faced and recountoured. Repark. FWIW

Someone pounded the crap out of the back of the receiver around the guide rod locating holes. The rear fade of the receiver on these guns was shaped convex and the impact of firing will not "bulge" it to the point where it needs to be beaten back with a hammer. The spine of the weld will need to be ground open slightly, the crack thoroughly cleaned of oil and crud, rewelded and recontoured. The areas around the hammering will need to be weld faced and recountoured. Repark. FWIW

Thank you very much.

Another Medea?

No, it is a Guide Lamp.

That looks like a Guide Lamp.

Good eye.

Rule of thumb Ive learned about parked M3s and M3A1s....unless they have been refinished in recent history the Ithaca parkerize turns a brownish color with age where as the Guide Lamp turns a dull grey.

The weld seam on the back told me it was a GI gun and not a Medea then the color made me say GL.

Correct. GL guns were also painted black and some even blued. Correct black guns would only be GLs and same with blued guns.

Havent seen Medeas with nice welds on the back of the receiver like GI guns before

• 2 weeks later...