Bolt Manufactures?

I justed picked up a 1928 bolt that has the letter P stamped on side, who made this bolt? I know S is for Savage, a block-style S for Stevens, A.O.C. for Auto-Ordnance, and R for Remington. Thanks for your input.

Woody,

If the bolt is a blued bolt, check the rear end for a Savage "S." I believe the P on the side is a proof mark, not a manufacturing mark. On the other hand, it could be a subcontractor of Savage. The letter "P" was a letter code for Pitney-Bowes Corporation on other subcontracted Thompson parts.

In other words, I'm not sure what the "P" means. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Most of the bolts that I have encountered marked “S” on the back have the subcontractor mark “P” (identified as Pet. Heat & Power in Amer. Thunder) on the side. Other makers I have seen do not have the “P” marking. I seriously doubt it is a proof mark; it would be quite an unusual one as single characters were almost universally used to designate makers. The proof on the barrel and receiver were a prick punch mark within a ‘P’, or just a prick punch mark alone; more characteristic of a proof.