Form 5320.20

I plan on taking some of my Class III weapons out of state for purposes of teaching and instruction in their operation. I'm going to have to take them through a non-class III ownership state or two, and hearin lies the questions.

1. How long has it taken you to get a 5320.20 form signed and returned?

2. I'm fairly sure it's leagal to transport a Class III weapon through a non-Class III state into a Class III

state as long as it's locked and not opened. But, does anyone have actual experience with law enforcement

actions in a state like California?

I will be driving from Nevada, through Calif. to Oregon on one of my trips, and really don't want to try to teach law to a CHP while standing on the side of the road.

Anyone have any actual experience, or comments? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

No actual experience..but if you have a C&R lisence and the firearms are C&R..you do not need a 5320.20

as long as,as you stated, the firearms are legal at the origination point and legal at the destination point.

I usually get the signed copy back in approx 6 weeks. Have never been questioned by anyone concerning paperwork in over 25 years of shooting full auto stuff. Just lucky I guess. But as long as you are legitimate you don't have anything to worry about. My.02

Also, the BATFE recommends that you carry a photocopy of your Form 4 whenever you transport interstate. Actually, it's a good idea to have a photocopy every time you take the gun out of your house. I think I'd carry a copy of my C&R too if I was going to transport interstate.

I keep a copy of the form 4's in the buttstocks rolled up and inside a canvas M1 Garand cleaning bag. It fits pretty nice. Then I keep a copy of the C&R and both form 4's in the glovebox of the truck. That way if your diving, and get pulled over and the officer sees it or them, you don't have to get into the guns, cops don't like that, to get your paper work. On the 5320.20 if you haven't got it back in time, call the ATF and talk to the person doing yours, and they can fax you a copy. They did it for me for the last TCA show. But as luck would have it, the form came in the mail the day I was leaving, so I had both.

6 weeks is pretty lame but a fact of life. I need to get mine in too. I wish I could include the serial number of one I have coming and should be herer before I leave but I guess that might not be possible?? Do they check and see what your taking? Actually they should only care if the destination state is NFA friendly or not. not what you were taking- go figure.

M

Guys,

You might try this. Call your friendly examiner and inquire if you can fax your form to them for approval. I have done it a couple of times on a short notice deal and they were accomodating. It's worth a try.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments posted on this subject. Always keep a copy of your F4 with your gun. I shrunk mine and laminated it. It's swell. Still readable but I can put it in my pocket and go.

HTH