Strange Marks On M1

hi from Italy , guys

i have received today by mail a "american thunder II" book...

wow.. fantastic...

so i read the first page and i know that the GEG mark is about the civilian quality from Mr Goll, for the Auto Ordnace.

ok

but i have a question...

on my frame i have many S mark, so i think is a Savage frame.

but the receiver have the AOC mark , and the GHD mark,, so i think is a Auto Ordnance.

but on the frame, under the buttstock, i have the GEG mak, with 2 little letters , the R and the E...

so ...

is possible to have the GEG mark on a Savage frame?

the GEG mark , mean an military production or a civilian production??

many thanks and excuse me for my bad english

bye

andy

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/8341/img03725lc.jpg

Andy:

Hi from Chicago. The GEG mark on the frame is Geroge Goll, like you said. He was a "civilian", but worked in the Savage plant as an inspector for the "military" guns, as you called them. That plant was in Utica, New York.

The GHD mark is from Guy H. Drewery, an inspector at the Auto-Ord plant. That plant was in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

From what you describe, you have a gun with an Auto-Ord (Bridgeport) receiver and a Savage frame. This happens when guns are rebuilt or refurbished.

George Goll's mark only appears on Savage frames on the M1's & M1A1's, from what I know.

The "R" and "E" letters on the frame are a mystery to me. Maybe someone else here can answer that one.

I hope this helps.

Ciao,

Ron Mills

ciao Ron

thank u for help . yes i think the thommy was rebuilt or refurbished cause on buttstock i have the AAQ marks, i think is the Augusta Arsenal (but the Q letter what mean??)

hope to someone help me to know what the R and E letter are...

for now im continuing to read this big book...hope it can help me

bye and tnx

andy

Andy--

I've been waiting for some of our resident experts to speak out. I don't know if this applied to Thompson parts, but Remington used RE on parts like Bayonets. Could there be a connection here?