Verifying an "L" drum is an original New York Address drum

All,

While not new to guns, I'm new to Thompsons having recently purchased my first one (a Colt 1921) and am still waiting for the transfer to come through. I have the opportunity to purchase what has been represented as and appears to be a genuine 3rd Model New York "L" drum. I'm going to get to see and buy the drum in-person on Saturday. I've looked at the thread on magazines/drums and done a search and read all the threads I could find. Is there anything in particular I should look at or evaluate on the drum? Are there any repops of this drum out there, and if so, is there a way to distinguish an original from a repop?

Thanks in advance and excited to be part of the community.

All,

While not new to guns, I'm new to Thompsons having recently purchased my first one (a Colt 1921) and am still waiting for the transfer to come through. I have the opportunity to purchase what has been represented as and appears to be a genuine 3rd Model New York "L" drum. I'm going to get to see and buy the drum in-person on Saturday. I've looked at the thread on magazines/drums and done a search and read all the threads I could find. Is there anything in particular I should look at or evaluate on the drum? Are there any repops of this drum out there, and if so, is there a way to distinguish an original from a repop?

Thanks in advance and excited to be part of the community.

In short, it all comes down to the markings on the drums. There are too many variations in markings and font to explain in a brief Internet post. I would get Tracie Hill's, The Ultimate Thompson Book, which has lots of photographs and descriptions of the various models. To address your specific concern for Saturday, the drum will have the Auto-Ordnance New York, NY, address on the drum body and winding instructions for both the 1921 and 1928 Models on the cover. The rotor should be a dull nickel color, not blued like later models. Look at the examples in the drums/magazines section and study the markings.

Congrats! Where did you find your 21? The best thing to do would be to post a picture of the drum your considering. Sounds like some nice finds, especially being a first purchase!

83Baron,

Are you looking for a 1921 Model?

Gijive,

No not at this time, but having found a few nice examples from one of the pd collections it is always interesting to see what channels these come from. Most commonly perhaps from one of the primary dealers or auction houses, but maybe an interesting find outside the box in this case.

Best,

Andrew