All Original 1928ac Tsmg

Do you think this is correct with the "L"site?

12 1928AC Thompson by Auto Ordinanc... John Kelly 24500.00 OBO 05/21/2009 Details

[www.subguns.com]

Yes, the majority of the US 1928 AC variations were late model 1928A1 Models, made by Auto-Ordnance, with smooth barrels and fixed "L" sights. So, that would be correct and is the most common of the 1928AC variations.

WTS: 1928AC THOMPSON $21,000 OBRO

This looks like a good example of the catagory. No SN but the ad notes a transfer directly from Maguire industries to a PD. A little overpriced I think but still interesting. I hope I linked correctly from Buddy's board.

Bob D

I didn't. Try this.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=118630

Edited by bug

This looks like a good example of the catagory. No SN but the ad notes a transfer directly from Maguire industries to a PD. A little overpriced I think but still interesting. I hope I linked correctly from Buddy's board.

Bob D

I didn't. Try this.

NFA Market Board

Posted By: Craig's Firearms, Knoxville TN (71.236.49.87)

Date: 5/26/09 13:53

WTS: 1928AC THOMPSON W/COPY OF ORIGINAL PAPERWORK. DATED 1944 TRANSFERING FROM MAGUIRE INDUSTRY TO A DEPT IN MISSISSIPPI. 21,000 OR BEST REASONABLE OFFER.

Interesting! This is the first AO 28ac I've seen with wartime sale documentation. There has been much speculation about whether or not the 28ac's were post war parts guns. This would seem to prove that the 28ac's were pulled from the production line and made available to civilian law enforcement during the war.

Bob D

I didn't. Try this.

NFA Market Board

Posted By: Craig's Firearms, Knoxville TN (71.236.49.87)

Date: 5/26/09 13:53

WTS: 1928AC THOMPSON W/COPY OF ORIGINAL PAPERWORK. DATED 1944 TRANSFERING FROM MAGUIRE INDUSTRY TO A DEPT IN MISSISSIPPI. 21,000 OR BEST REASONABLE OFFER.

Interesting! This is the first AO 28ac I've seen with wartime sale documentation. There has been much speculation about whether or not the 28ac's were post war parts guns. This would seem to prove that the 28ac's were pulled from the production line and made available to civilian law enforcement during the war.

Lancer,

There was another gun that was at Tracie Hill's Show lat year that had documentation from Maguire Industries. Remember that production of the 1928 Model was halted in 1942 when the production of the M1 series began. After Auto-Ordnance reorganized, Maguire Industries apparently started marketing the guns to law enforcement. That would explain the lack of military proofs and inconsistent markings on these guns. They were probably surplus overruns from the 1942 production that were either whole guns or were built from parts. They were obviously originally manufactured for military orders, hence the US and A1 military designation. The assembly line wasn't running in 1944, so I doubt they were pulled from military production orders.

gijive is right on point. If I remember correctly, the earliest documented 1928AC was sold in 1943. Production of the Model of 1928 Thompson had long since ended.

What I found interesting is the 1928AC at Tracie's Show last year was sold by Maguire Industries, Inc. in 1946. Yes, 1946. It appears all/most/some of the remaining inventory of 28 receivers were made into complete Thompsons and sold after the war ended. One thing I have noticed (from limited observation) is all the 1928AC Thompson's appear to be Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport manufactured. All the early NAC Thompson's sold by George Numrich in the 1950's and 60's appear to be Colt or Savage manufactured. I have never seen a Savage 1928AC or an Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport NAC Thompson.

I suspect Maguire Industries sold off the remaining Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport Thompson guns one sale at a time until the inventory was depleted. That would explain why I have never seen a NAC AO Bridgeport 1928. Of course, this is all just speculation at this point.

All comments and new information is appreciated.

Lancer,

There was another gun that was at Tracie Hill's Show lat year that had documentation from Maguire Industries. Remember that production of the 1928 Model was halted in 1942 when the production of the M1 series began. After Auto-Ordnance reorganized, Maguire Industries apparently started marketing the guns to law enforcement. That would explain the lack of military proofs and inconsistent markings on these guns. They were probably surplus overruns from the 1942 production that were either whole guns or were built from parts. They were obviously originally manufactured for military orders, hence the US and A1 military designation. The assembly line wasn't running in 1944, so I doubt they were pulled from military production orders.

gijive

Thanks for jumping in on this. I didn't know that another had shown up with documentation. Do you remember the year of transfer? I'm just curious if was earlier than the 1944 date stated in this ad.

Many of these 28ac's are in the 150,000 range. You are much more of an expert here than I, but it still would seem logical, at some point guns were pulled from production and set aside for civilian sales as early as the spring of 1942, when guns in the 150,000 range were made. With the high wartime demand for all firearms being what it was, "surplus overruns" doesn't sound very logical, why would they just leave them collect dust at the factory? It's just hard to fathom that in early 1942, with war production just really cranking up, that any kind of war material would be thought of as unneeded.

I guess if someone were to find sales documentation dated 1942, it would really tell us something.

gijive is right on point. If I remember correctly, the earliest documented 1928AC was sold in 1943. Production of the Model of 1928 Thompson had long since ended.

What I found interesting is the 1928AC at Tracie's Show last year was sold by Maguire Industries, Inc. in 1946. Yes, 1946. It appears all/most/some of the remaining inventory of 28 receivers were made into complete Thompsons and sold after the war ended. One thing I have noticed (from limited observation) is all the 1928AC Thompson's appear to be Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport manufactured. All the early NAC Thompson's sold by George Numrich in the 1950's and 60's appear to be Colt or Savage manufactured. I have never seen a Savage 1928AC or an Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport NAC Thompson.

I suspect Maguire Industries sold off the remaining Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport Thompson guns one sale at a time until the inventory was depleted. That would explain why I have never seen a NAC AO Bridgeport 1928. Of course, this is all just speculation at this point.

All comments and new information is appreciated.

FWIW-- If you are referring to NAC stamped after the serial number I have one of these. AO134,xxx NAC. If I remember correctly Interarms re-imported it back into the US.

Jim C

jim c 351,

Excellent point. No, I was not referring to one of the Numrich Arms import Thompsons. I was referring to the NAC Thompsons, the ones that are commonly referred to as the crate guns. The crate Thompsons generally have a NAC prefix serial number. Thank you for pointing this out.

You have to keep in mind how things were done back then. When a contract was nearing an end , there was almost always a lot of spare parts in bins and in storage. When they switched from M1928s to M1s , there was tons of 1928 parts remaining--count on it. There was also complete guns which were sitting around needing something done to have them pass inspection. When the M1s came on line , time constrants actually made it harder to justify messing with the M1928s hanging around. Any PD or other stateside security need could then easily be filled by one of these 1928s without drawing a M1 out of " the fight".

Examples? Winchester buying all the carbine parts when the other mfgs shut down. Sag. S'G' carbines with " IP " marked small componets long after take over. All the stash of parts we've been using on 1903s , M1s , Thompsons , Grease guns , carbines , BARs , 1917s , 1919A4s , A6s , etc , etc. for the last several decades.

Remember , SA kept 5 percent of thier M1 reciever mfg as spares , and when they had the reciever steel order screw-up , they used every one to keep production rolling. It was quite awhile before they could start stockpiling those again. Chris