French MAS-38 just sold on GB $8525

where you gonna get the ammo?

watching forgotten weapons even with todays commercial grade ammo the gun might not work...$1 a bullet too

i would have grabbed this if it was 9mm, but its a show piece and not a shooter

Except nothing matches those head/rim/length dimensions. The best source of parent brass appears to be cutting off .32 Long or .32 H&R brass and a turning on a lathe to remove the rim and add an extractor groove.

WAY too much effort.

One of our other members bought one. When he told me, I went into my gun room and returned with two boxes (100) rounds of ammo. I even got to shoot his gun before him. It is the least ergonomic gun I think I have ever fired. It is extremely controlable though. I believe he is planning to convert it to .380. If I knew how to post a video, I would.

Dan

Edited by DZelenka

A French design with weird ergonomics? Ever drive a Citroen DS? :blink:

If one is willing to modify the gun, then a .30 Carbine case (.355 base/.360 rim) cut off to .775 OAL would be a very viable candidate and a better fit than anything based on .380 ( .373 base/.380 rim and only .68 long) or similar.

If one is willing to modify the gun, then a .30 Carbine case (.355 base/.360 rim) cut off to .775 OAL would be a very viable candidate and a better fit than anything based on .380 ( .373 base/.380 rim and only .68 long) or similar.

I think the plan is to shoot some sort of factory ammo. I like your .30 carbine thought though. I wonder how thick the brass is at that length.

I have one of these SMGs. The problem with the Buffalo Arms ammo, in addition to the cost, is the soft point nose. I had several failures to feed, when the soft nose would catch on the feed ramp and dig into the soft lead, instead of sliding up the ramp.

Having seen a number of Colt Thompsons over the years with ringed barrels from squib rounds, I now know more and more Colt owners who will not shoot their guns for fear of that happening. And further, those who own Colts own M1s as shooters, or “lesser” grades of the guns. Their Colts are “show pieces”!

Ironic to read posts in this thread dissing the Mas 38s as just show pieces because ammo is scarce. Funny!

A number of transferable Mas SMGs have veen converted to other claibers over the years.

They are fun to shoot and are very unusual. FWIW

It's so ugly I wanted one. My top bid wasn't even close. Congrats to whoever won the day.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/800570316

Yes, congrats....he had it listed a few weeks ago for 7K IIRC and no one wanted it? I've seen the last couple I bid at auction barely break 7? I'm always fascinated to see what these auctions bring and certainly curious to know who the buyers are? One of those "it's so ugly it's cool type of guns".

I think the plan is to shoot some sort of factory ammo. I like your .30 carbine thought though. I wonder how thick the brass is at that length.

A Forster trimmer with a .30 cal case neck reamer would solve the brass thickness issue and could be used to create a step inside the case against which to seat a .30 cal 86 gr. Hornady FMJ. Ammo problem (sort of) solved

The French 1935a pistol is also on my buy list. So the oddball 32long may still be in my future.

I f you pick up the pistol you might want to ask Buffalo Arms if they will sell you just the unloaded brass. Hornady makes a suitable FMJ bullet and you could make a die set from bits and pieces from commercially available sets for other calibers.

Heres an interesting but hardly published fact, during the Blitz, German bomber crews carried these on board. A friend of mine was excavating a crash HE111, during the dig they dug out five small containers each containing a French MAS-38. Unfortunately the authorities where called and they where taken away never to be seen again!