Lewis pinion casing question

In the loose parts that I acquired with the barrel jack is a complete pinion casing, alas in bad shape. Badly rusted & pitted. The return spring is apparently broken as the pinion & return spring casing turn freely. I can turn it backwards all I want but the return spring tension screw won't come out (the hub isn't turning). Any ideas how to get this bugger apart? Bearing in mind that Sarco has them (complete) for $50, it's probably not worth messing with, I was just trying to salvage what I could.

Any ideas?

Get a complete replacement. Spring hub must turn with the ratchet wheel just to unscrew or raise the T "handle" of the center screw above the stops so it can be turned out. There is no way to tie the hub to the ratchet wheel with the wheel assembled into the outer housing.

FWIW

Edited by Black River Militaria CII

Mg08, tried that. It's a no-go.

Black River, yeah about what I thought. I already have 2 complete pinion casings plus 2 apparently unused mainsprings. I just wanted to salvage what I could but I doubt it'll be worth the headaches.

Hey, I bid on the Barrel Jack. Everything else is extra.

Doug

Here's something to be aware of with spare Lewis springs. The US and the Brit means of anchoring the tail of the spring to the inside wall of the spring enclosure are different. Brit and first production Savage .303 Canadian contract use a two pin anchor, with the pins mounted in the spring sliding into cutouts in the enclosure wall and US uses a spring with a single hole in it. Savage provided replacement springs compressed into small sheetmetal rings and the spring could be pressed out of the ring into the spring enclosure. If you have spare springs that are mounted in the sheet steel holders look at the anchors, they are probably Savage, And if so are marked SACo.
The Brits supplied complete spring enclosures with assembled springs and a hub in small tin, screw top cans. These are excellent and makes replacing a spring on a Lewis a five minute job.
Installing an uncompressed spring into the spring enclosure takes some effort and care.
FWIW

Edited by Black River Militaria CII