Original FBI Colt Monitor & Thompson Hard Cases

Happy New Year folks:

Just a bit of an update on a few things with these FBI cases I see folks mentioning, repros and the like. I have been back and forth with Sandy and Darryl about this recently.

1. If you're not aware of it, you can find the original specs and even an original "sketch" of the FBI's Thompson hard case at my website located here, in the lower right navigation area: http://historicalgmen.squarespace.com

You can use the original sketch specs when you examine any repros to see the similarities or differences. FYI, there is no question based upon documents I have from file, that the Thompson cases were made by the Books-Kansas City Trunk Company and that SAC E. E. Conroy and later, SAC Bruce Nathan were both the "point men" for the Bureau with the company.

2. COLT MONITOR CASES

I don't get to these forums much and not sure if this is relevant here, but FYI in my own review of FBI weaponry during the 1933-35 period, I did find evidence in FBI files that Kansas Trunk also made the FBI's Colt Monitor cases. However, I have not yet been able to find any sketchs of the case as I did find with the Thompson, rifles etc. of the period. I have attached 2 docs revealing Kansas Trunk's involvement with these cases. In fact, Kansas Trunk pretty much did all of the Bureau cases at least initially. They did obtain bids from 2 other companies whose names escape me right now but I have the docs.

Anyhow, if interested in the cases and more "gun stuff" and FBI operations during the 30s, stop by the site. You can contact me via the site direct if need be. See attached docs. (Hope I did that right!)

One last thing:

Within the next week or so I'll be posting an article at the site I'm writing regarding the sometimes continuous written idea that the "FBI did not use/carry weapons until the 1934 Crime Bills." I can assure everyone that this is a MYTH which has been perpetrated by authors, would be historians, and a host of others over the decades. For openers, the Bureau purchased their first Thompsons at the end of June, 1933 as a direct result of the Kansas City Massacre.

Thanks

Larry Wack

FBI - Ret. ('68-'03)

post-258934-0-72952400-1389170852_thumb.pngpost-258934-0-94768800-1389170854_thumb.png

Mr. Wack,

Thanks again for your service and efforts to provide the collector community with solid facts regarding the FBI's use of the Colt Thompsons and Monitors.

Every time I go to your site I end up running out of battery charge on my laptop, the pure volume of historical content is extraordinary and very addictive to read.

If you can find any dimensional drawings regarding the Monitor cases, I'll either make one myself or have one made.

Darryl

Darryl-

Bet Larry will find it, he's found ALL sorts of stuff in our Gun Hunter's group. The Dillinger FBI files alone aresomething like 56,000 pages long.

Larry, might contact Sheriff Hudson, he's got a lot of new stuff on Wilbur Underhill and the many FBI Thompsons used, 1933. Cool shot on your site about that. Ern has relatives there I think.

Sandy