Wtk - What A Wh "c" Drum Is Worth

He has no idea of what it should bring (nor do I) so I thought I'd ask those that do know.

C drum NIB, New York marked, instruction sheet, but does not say WH on it (that I recall). I do remember that it said to wind to 15 clicks.

Key info: WH

WH, West Hurley, made by Valentine products. Looks OK. Needs work to function properly, as the spring it too short and the hanger rails need tweaking, unlike an original drum.

I have one, and after tweaking the rails so it fit in the gun, it will run 98%. The other 2% being two stopages during fire where the drum failed to feed, usually during the first 30 rounds. It needs a trip to Merle one of these days.

I still can'r believe I sent that original NY,NY serial numbered L drum back to SARCO for my $150 back beause the spring was broken in the nickle rotor. What a diff 9 years makes.

Doug

If the AW ban dies, it will drop in value; otherwise it is in the $1200-$1500 range as Deerslayer has stated.

I wonder if value will drop. If Kahr only makes the L drum then there will still be a market for the C drum. Look at the difference in price between a WH L and C drum now. WH L drums bring as high as $ 650. and WH C drums have sold for as high as $ 1,500. and most of the C drums don't work out of the box. When I spoke to Moon at the shot show he said they make the L drum now and have no problem selling if the ban sunsets. The C drum is a different matter.

The C drum is overpriced, but what thompson items isnt - its the only act in town.

I have heard that Kahr woud NOT make the C drum also, but would make the L drum if the ban lifts.

It would leave the door open for anyone to make a good quality C drum, though.

My obersvation is that the Colt C drum wasn't such a big hit when they made them 80 years ago. I think that for any practicle situation, the C drum is just to big and WAY to heavy. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wacko.gif Of course 80+ years after the Thompson was first produced, the use of gun has changed. They are no longer for "practical" use, but rather for enjoyment. All that being said, I think a reasonbly price C drum of good quality would sell well if the ban llifts.

Norm