Ups Refuses To Ship My Thompson

Mike

I believe in my heart the issue with UPS is some misguided management idea to protect the company.

If we knew what their concern was we could probably address it. My bet is they are worried about doing something illegal, that could be countered with copies of Form 3's and 4's if that were the case. Key is find out what their beef is.

michael

I won't ship UPS or FedEx for the reason Grey Crow mentioned: they just dropped off the packages on my DOORSTEP and left, even though they had been marked "Adult Signature Required"! Nothing like coming home to a Colt Thompson on the step (and the Bren, a couple Lugers, and probably a half-dozen rifles). Yup, it's happened that often, despite calls and letters to stop. (All my calls did was to make me very unpopular with my local delivery driver).

USPS REGISTERED is the way to go, IMHO. As mentioned above: USE PAPER TAPE. That's not some silly government reg: they stamp every seam of tape with an anti-tampering seal. The ink for the stamp is compromised with plastic tape. I believe (could be wrong) that registered service includes insurance up to $25k.

The package is under lock and key the whole way. Each package is signed for at every transfer. It is my understanding that in the history of registered service, there has NEVER been a missing package.

USPS does not ship handguns between private individuals, but that's not what this thread is about.

I'm also curious if anyone in this thread has seen published firearms policies at any of the shippers that say ANYTHING about full-auto. I never have. Handguns, yes, but it seems they consider just two types of firearms: handguns and the rest. Tell the counter person it's an "unloaded collector firearm, disassembled to prevent function" (or whatever adjective you want, unrelated to rate of fire), "not a handgun."

The counter is not the place to brag about shipping a machine gun! Sure, it would be great if those counter people knew all the regs backwards and forwards, but they don't (this is more true of UPS, FedEx, etc than for USPS, who has longer-term employees. Shoot, a lot of people at UPS are hired just for the holidays!). They will take the easy route and just say they can't ship it.

Imagine a counter person refuses to accept your machine gun, you complain, and that person gets called onto the carpet with their supervisor. What do you think the super will say? I imagine more likely than not that the counter person will be informed of the regs, then told that they did the right thing. These guys are after the easy buck, not bound to provide service to a VERY SMALL number of people who ship machine guns. It's easy to avoid the hassle of "liability" by just refusing service.

If I sell a gun, I leave it to the buyer what they'll pay for. My choice? USPS registered.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif I must be missing something in this thread, they won't ship firearms or the exclusion is just class 3 stuff?

I just bought a 27a1 last month it was shipped to my local FFL by the post office.

I then packaged it and another in gun cases and shipped them to PK by UPS. They only asked if they were loaded, both shipped in hard plastic cases cost $75 Chicago to Colorado.

I once had an AR-15 damaged in shipping and UPS paid within a week no problem.

UPS wouldn`t ship my Tommy to PK.. post 9/11 rules they said, so I went to another UPS store told `em it was skis http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

It was close thou, i wanted to insure it for $1000 so they wanted to check the 'ski' .. That would have been embarrasing lol

I told em forget it just do $500 insurance..

I sent a Thompson (full-auto) by USPS to PK.

When I sent it, I shipped it registered mail and insured it for $8,500. When I wanted that much insurance, they wanted to know what was in the box.

I told them...an unloaded, disassemebled firearm. The clerk said that they could not send it. I ask to see the station manager. She also said that the USPS could not send it.

I ask them why couldn't they send it, and their reply was, "That is a restricted item; we can't ship it."

I pointed to the clerks copy of the DMM (Domestic Mail Manual) and asked them to show me where it says that I can't ship an unloaded firearm by registered mail to an FFL.

The station manager just scowled at me for several seconds, and then told the clerk to accept the package.

My package made tit to PK in just two days. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

I've about had it with all of em, UPS,USPS,& Fed Ex. Next time I gotta move an expensive MG across the country think I'm gonna just fly commercial with the item. A road trip now and then does a person good anyway. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif