Any Canteen Cover Experts?

My opinion is WW2 but no markings at all under a magnifying glass or they are worn off.

Eric

That looks very similar to what I was issued in the regular Army in the very early 80"s. Notice the felt inside the cover, I don't believe they used that during WW2 or Korea. All of our gear was still Vietnam era, regarding LBE (Load Bearing Equipment), Steel Pot with Camo cover, M16a1 rifles and jungle fatigues. Also still had 1/4 ton vehicles (Jeep) and Iroquois UH-1 helicopters (Huey).

Edited by NFA amnesty

Thanks guys. I have all the books you can buy and i am watching the experts on youtube but still can't be sure. Faint indications of ink on the cover but no answer for sure. I have a ton of canteens and i mean a ton but i want to match it correctly with the cover by date.

Eric

I think it's 1950's to 70's era. I remember about 1974, in the Canal Zone of Panama, my Dad bought a Gaylord (huge box on a pallet) of military surplus, and that I could barely get my arms over the side of it. He picked me up, and let me get inside of the box, and it was full of web gear. I believe it was all M1956 pattern, and as I recall, the canteen covers were like this. It was all canvas, not the newer nylon style, and all the mag pouches were M14. Must have been 100+ mag pouches. I believe I still have one or two of the mag pouches, and a set of LBE suspenders, H-type from that box. I don't have any of the canteen covers. I remember the ones I got were really well used, had holes and writing on them, and I think I wore them out as a Scout in the Zone, and Hawaii, and replaced them with the later style (1980's) nylon canteen covers that I have now.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I'm no expert but judging by the way it looks its probably a late a WW2 cover, I have 2 that are very similar other than they are in better shape than yours, all WW2 Army canteen covers have felt lining it was only the USMC that had unlined covers, the m1956 covers had snaps to hold the flaps down where the M1941 covers have the style fastener that yours has

post-260996-0-98869900-1552434895_thumb.jpg

post-260996-0-63890300-1552435049_thumb.jpg

post-260996-0-43795200-1552435279_thumb.jpg

post-260996-0-49467900-1552435617_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1952HRA

I'm no expert but judging by the way it looks its probably a late a WW2 cover, I have 2 that are very similar other than they are in better shape than yours, all WW2 Army canteen covers have felt lining it was only the USMC that had unlined covers, the m1956 covers had snaps to hold the flaps down where the M1941 covers have the style fastener that yours has

Oh yes, now I see the difference in the fasteners. The ones I had were the later kind with snaps, so not the same covers. They sure look similar to me, except for the snaps.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Normal1959 - Have you tried using a black light to search for any faint markings? And as mentioned above, the Lift-the-dot fasteners are the indicator of ww2.

Andrew

Normal1959 - Have you tried using a black light to search for any faint markings? And as mentioned above, the Lift-the-dot fasteners are the indicator of ww2.

Andrew

Yes. Funny you mention that because i have black lights all over the house that i use to check for pee pee from the 3 cats and 2 dogs i have. They work great. I didn't have too much success on the military markings when i tried it.

Eric aka CSI

6.PNG

1.PNG

2.PNG

Andrew

Yes. Funny you mention that because i have black lights all over the house that i use to check for pee pee from the 3 cats and 2 dogs i have. They work great. I didn't have too much success on the military markings when i tried it.

Eric aka CSI

Cute dogs!

Andrew

Eric aka CSI

Cute dogs!

Thank you. Khloe and Brieanna. I seem to get along with animals more than people. :)

Eric

Late WWII covers had a felt liner and were OD #7 (darker) in color. Later, in the early 1950s, they were still being made of canvas, but with a fake fur liner. Canteen covers were nylon starting in the late 1960s, when plastic canteens were introduced. The earliest plastic canteen I've seen is dated 1966. WWII "lip burner" rolled-edge canteen cups were still common when I was in the US Army, 1974-78. We had M3 & M3A1 SMGs, too.

347th Inafantry, HeadQuarters (HQ) Company. Dates for the cover should be inside on the flap, if still legible is where I find most of the WWI cover marks

Ron

Makes so much sense now. Thanks...……...I didn't realize that was a 4

Eric