Nickle Plated Ny Drum

I have heard you can remove nickle plating not sure how or what the end result looks like. Colt era drums are blued over a glass beaded finish on the outside I think that would reduce some very slight imperfections on a refinish.

Regardless this item is sold, as the seller had a buy it now price of $550.

Seems to me that the guy selling the Nickel Plated Bridgeport gun mentioned a process of "reverse-Plating" wherein the process must be reversed somehow and the plating dissolved a molecule at a time.

I have no idea how this would work and in fact may affect the temper of the steel somehow (but I'm not a metallurgist, nor do I play one on TV!!) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I'd guess that the easiest way to get a non-chrome plated drum (or gun for that matter) would be to buy one......

john

Hmmm,

Some electro-plating comes off easy, some do not.

I fear nickel is one that does not.

Reverse plating or "striping" is used in most electro-plating procedures during the actual plating process.

There is a "reverse" pole switch that is built into the rectifier circuitry that reverses the poles ( + and - ) for a brief period of time every few minutes (or for whatever time interval you care to set them to), that strips a very thin surface layer, thus "cleaning" the surface of built up impurities as it plates.

I've tryed to "strip" the plating of steel off of copper by this method. Not very even or predictable results.

You actually risk removing the base material ( in this case copper) if your amperage/time intervals are off, resulting in a pitted un-even, mess.

Don't know about Nickel... better off leaving it as is, or, manually removing it ( bead blast, etc...)

best, Z

check out his other auctions... has some mags and cases... i have both variations of the D 50268 case that he has, otherwise i would be on it.... its a bit ratty but a 150 bucks to start isnt to terrible....