Well , I finally took the plunge . Sold my M2 carbine , a 60MM mortar with a ton of accessories and practice bombs , a 1903 rifle , a mossberg .22 trainer , a M1 Garand and a Browning Hipower with stock over the last couple of weeks or so . Seemed like a good time to dive in .

I ordered a Safety Harbor .50 5-shot bolt action with a couple of spare mags and some spare bolt parts ( you have to strip the bolt to get it out for cleaning , so I see a lot of " ooops " in my future ) . Ordered the 29 inch version . I see a lot of good and bad on them , but my LGS said they'd stand behind it .

They say 6-8 weeks out .

I figure I'll start with a Vortex Viper PST in 6-24 X 50 FFP to match the set up on my Ruger RPR .308 and the 4-16 X 50 FFP on my match AR15 .223 build .

I'm not lookin to be into the super long range , super small group type shooting with this gun . I'm selling all my other .50s ( Browning M2HB , a 57MM RR conversion and a 75MM RR conversion ) due to the lack of a willing crew . I need something I can break down and haul out . I do have over 5,000 rds of ammo , but it is all GI stuff , not match stuff , so that's the type / level of shooting I'll be doing . Minute of steel plate at 1,000 or so .

The other two guns will do the small groups .

I'll let everyone know of my results when the cool weather returns .

Chris

Chris,

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm not a Safety Harbor fan, since from what I understand, it's basically a Serbu knockoff by a former employee, but I'll be interested to hear your experiences with the rifle.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I looked hard at the Serbu , but I kinda like / wanted a magazine fed repeater .

Was there an unhappy split ? I did not know of that .

I just bought a .458 Socom a few months ago , and I made sure to buy from someone who had paid for the specs and license to build it , rather than from a reverse engineered rip-off manufacturer . I hate a thief .

Chris

If you plan on selling another 1903 Springfield let me know, mine is a national match from the 20's. It's so accurate that I sometimes think that I don't have to aim at the target. I have a 8mm Mauser that's a shooter also but the '03 is just such a great rifle and handloads make it even better.

My parents play snowbirds there also so I can keep stuff there, got some stuff there that will be fun to shoot. That and some military ammo that I have to separate before bringing it back home.

Did you ever start reloading .50 or are you still selling your brass? If you're selling it let me know and I can come by your shop and pick it up. That and b.s. a little if you're not to busy with customers and stuff.

Well , because you asked , I have a Rem 1903 , a Rem 03-A4 , and a S/C 03A3 up on consignment at Spragues .

I have not started reloading 50 cal. , but I have not shot any after the brass sale .

I'm wanting to get back into it , ergo selling my crew served pieces and going with a more one-man set up.

Chris

The truck mate part of them was moved into a new building on the land that was their used car lot . The truck mate part has been opened into their main display area and all the tactical type stuff has been moved mostly into there as well as their gun safes . Used mil-surp guns are in a wall display case at the rear of the new addition .They do have several '03s at this time , my three and three or four others . At least one low number and I think one with the Pederson cut out .

Mine , of course , are the best deals :happy:

Chris

• 1 month later...

That blows, would've been nice if they told you that to begin with.

Call Mark and ask him like dalbert suggested, just remember that Mark NEVER makes a deadline. Even if he says two weeks, you know it won't be two weeks. But you will get one of the best made .50's on the market and he always backs up his stuff.

I hear he has a 20mm in the works...

Well , I actually chose to go with a Spider Ferret 50 upper . He is running a 10% off sale on his right now and offering a cash discount on a 50% down / 50% on delivery to boot . He's saying a 6-8 week wait IF the storm does not knock him out . He's reserved a slot for me but we'll wait till next week to see . Going with a standard 29 inch upper . I can always add a lower if I choose to .

If the storm destroys his shop , Serbu is my next move .

Chris

• 2 months later...

​OH , JOY !!!!

My Ferret upper is ready to be shipped . Second half of payment will be sent this week and should be here in time for Christmas . Last weekend at the SAR show I found a dealer that had the Vortex 6-24x50 FFP illuminated scope I wanted for this ( LGS had one on order for over 5 months ) as well as the lower receiver and parts for it . Should have it all ready by Christmas easily .

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the lower for it yesterday . It's ready to test , but I'm all tied up with the holidays until Monday . Next weekend I may be in Phx and the following weekend is our gun show .

I hope to at least squeeze in some range time before then . Thinking about just closing the store and going out Monday . Will you still be around ?

Chris

I got back home this morning but will be back out there on Tuesday or Wednesday. Just depends on how busy work is next week.

Another guy I work with that lives out near the Foothills just picked up a Bushmaster 50. He said that he wanted to come out also. He needs a scope but I told him to just bring it and shoot off a few rounds.

So, we might have a small group out at the range. I have some tracer ammo at my parents house there, should be cool to see it go down range.

Is the gun show going to be in Yuma at the fairgrounds or the convention center?

• 2 weeks later...

As you walk in , go down the center asile to three asiles from the end . Turn left and just past the middle of that section . Look for a M1 , tanker M1 , '97 trench , M-55 Reising , suppressed High Standard USA-HD MS copy , sawed off side by side shotgun , etc.

May haul out the .50 for show if the runner of the show has some empty tables he needs covered .

Chris

Cool, the guy that I know from work said that he wanted to go also. If he doesn't have to work on Sat. we'll be there together.

As long as my job doesn't get in the way it looks like I'll make it. We can talk more about hitting the range in the next week or so.

If anything, being that you both live there you guys could hit the range and help each other. He still needs a scope, maybe he'll find a deal at the show.

My email is ar50shooter@hotmail.com if you want to send me your number.