West Hurley M5 Pistol questions -

New to the Thompson world and had a few questions on an early WH M5 pistol. It is a 1977 production judging by the low three digit serial number. My questions are as follows:

1) Would this have a steel receiver if the serial number were under p200? It is not in my possession so I am unable to verify if it is steel or aluminum yet.

2) Why did the WH drums only hold 39 rounds?

3) Will a 50 round drum work in it as well?

4) It has the blade sight on front of the finned barrel but I want to install a Cutts compensator on it and wondered if I need the pinned or the threaded compensator to do so?

I appreciate any helpful insight you guys can offer, thanks!

Sorry for the all the questions, just starting out with these but am no stranger to the machine gun world.

CaptMax

To my knowledge all A5 pistols had aluminum receivers ... A drum is a drum ... 10, 39, 50, or 100 round, they all insert the same. They had 13.5 inch barrels that again, to my knowledge were not threaded, just equipped with a press on ring sight ... If you want to install a cutts type compensator it should be pinned. (You won't want it flying off the barrel)

The 39 round drums were originally made in Japan for the mgc toy guns... And numrich used them.. they will work better if you handload and insert the bullets a little deep. The back of the rotor takes up some space.

A new kahr type smooth comp should fit on and be able to be pinned in place.

Thanks for the fast response guys, it is much appreciated. Verified today that the first batch of these from 1977 were steel receivers, they changed to aluminum shortly after. I found a Cutts compensator that pins on and is available new from the factory. I should have this M5 next week and will post a few pictures once I do. It has the sweetest looking wood I have ever seen on a Thompson.