Rewiring the M60 barrel gas system

BTW before i put it back together, i use the M60 brush connected to a dedicated electric screw driver and some good oil and solvent to clean the gas tube. My piston free floats like never before.

If you are in the area, I will clean and rewire for free.

Eric

1.JPG

2.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

Edited by Normal1959

There is an upgraded hex-plug-screw for the bottom gas port access (E1 barrel) that has a captive split-ring lock washer. I use these so I can quickly get into my gas port and ream it clean, without the re-wire issue. I do safety wire the front and back. These upgraded nut/lock-washer combinations are mentioned in the Hoel-SAR series-guides for M60 civilian ownership.

The lock wire pliers come in handy, and to be honest, it is sort of fun to put on. Make sure you look at the item to be lockwired and wire in the "correct" direction to hold it on , not off. there are a lot of other applications - Browning MGs, and (gasp) german ones can benefit. I use it on my vickers booster too

The lock wire pliers come in handy, and to be honest, it is sort of fun to put on. Make sure you look at the item to be lockwired and wire in the "correct" direction to hold it on , not off. there are a lot of other applications - Browning MGs, and (gasp) german ones can benefit. I use it on my vickers booster too

Yes my Shrike has the old barrel on it that has to be wired although the wire looks thinner.....

• 9 months later...

There is an upgraded hex-plug-screw for the bottom gas port access (E1 barrel) that has a captive split-ring lock washer. I use these so I can quickly get into my gas port and ream it clean, without the re-wire issue. I do safety wire the front and back. These upgraded nut/lock-washer combinations are mentioned in the Hoel-SAR series-guides for M60 civilian ownership.

Where could I possibly buy some?

Sarco

Thank you! I ordered a couple from them. I hope they are in good shape because their price is allot cheaper than others for these plugs. I used to travel to Sarco in person when they were in NJ and although they had lots of parts most were in " rat " condition.....

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped at a Harbor Freight and got a 9 in pair of " Pittsburgh " brand safety wire pliers and some " mechanics " wire 20 gauge. Locking these pliers you need the strength of Hercules to close on the wire. And although the box & instructions read " spring return " it does not. I thought all one had to do is pull the cap out to extension and then it would return back inside the tool and just repeat until the wire has the twist one wants? It twists the wire and then when you release your grip it untwists the wire, WTF LOL? Plus I think the wire 20 gauge wire is thicker than the suggested .032 wire which further complicates the process. Any thoughts gang?

A friend observed "No matter what I buy at Harbor Freight, 3 months later it's a hammer."

Their stuff is not quality, not even at the bargain price.

The spiral shaft that causes the pliers to spin is not spring return. You set the pliers, lock them, pull the spiral shaft out and the pliers spin. The shaft has a rounded end on it. Hold the pliers with one hand and push on that rounded end with your other hand, the shaft should spin back in. Repeat as required. 20 AWG is .032" but there are several other gauge systems in which 20 gauge could be as much as .045" (Piano wire)

A friend observed "No matter what I buy at Harbor Freight, 3 months later it's a hammer."

Their stuff is not quality, not even at the bargain price.

The spiral shaft that causes the pliers to spin is not spring return. You set the pliers, lock them, pull the spiral shaft out and the pliers spin. The shaft has a rounded end on it. Hold the pliers with one hand and push on that rounded end with your other hand, the shaft should spin back in. Repeat as required. 20 AWG is .032" but there are several other gauge systems in which 20 gauge could be as much as .045" (Piano wire)

Yes, it was an impulse buy. Harbor Freight has lots of stuff but with early expiration dates, LOL. I watched some videos so I know what you are saying. I looked at another barrel assembly I have that is wired and that wire looks thinner than this 20 gauge mechanics wire I bought with the tool. I am going to exchange this one as it is a bear to squeeze & lock.