1921 (Navy) Parts Available?

Is it possible to obtain parts for a m1921/Navy. Obviously there are plenty of Savage 1928 part sets available but I wouldnt want them for my Colt. Edited by GaryKeim

In your 28 Navy, overstamp,you will want to shoot gi parts. If you have Colt internals, you will want to take them out and leave them in the safe. Get a different trigger housing too. Your Colt started life as a 21 but an 8 was overstamped on the 1, correct? Edited by ppgcowboy

GaryKeim,

Normally, those with Colt's, any model, do not fire the guns with most of the original era Colt's parts installed. The actuators are the most fragile (and very expensive) and can easily be replaced with World War II GI parts. An easy swap for the Model of 1928. For those wanting a Model of 1921 style actuator, someone like PK will have to cut down a 1928 actuator to 1921 style (and PK does an excellent job). The barrel is the next potential problem and much more difficult to exchange with a GI or commercial product. If you squib and bulge an original Colt's barrel, you will have greatly devalued your Colt's. Exchanging barrels is best left to someone with the proper tools and experience. Many turn to PK and have him install one of his commercially manufactured barrels so the Colt's can be fired without worry - and the original barrel re-installed when the Colt's is no longer to be fired or possibly sold. I have seen PK's barrels on Colt's that were difficult to distinguish from the originals without a close look so you give up nothing in curb appeal. Exchanging the parts in the frame is not difficult for the home user but again, it does take some knowledge so as not to scratch the pivot plate or frame. Many just have a complete WWII frame that they install - but don't force anything.

Prior to deciding to make the above modifications, you really need to evaluate the condition of your Colt's. If it is 100% complete and in 96% plus condition, turning it into a shooter gun may not be the wisest choice. If your Colt's is in shooter grade condition, as most are, then you will not be devaluing your investment. Given the basic questions you are asking, I would encourage you to send your Colt's to PK and have him make the above modifications so you can now have a shooter Colt's with the original parts secured in your safe. To that end, many Colt's owners also have Dan Block (deerslayer) make them a set of commercial wood so not as to place unnecessary wear on the original wood (which again is very expensive).

Joining and attending one of the Thompson association shows and shoots will expose you to many knowledgeable members with Colt's that are fired and Colt's that are displayed. A great education on how to proceed, along with a good time, is guaranteed!

WOW what a pain. go buy a cheaper something else to shoot. SEE it has gotten that bad in value next step wall shadow box frame with lighting...When something gets that bad to try and enjoy its not fun anymore. YOU either have some extra to buy another to blast... And keep the Colt as it is. all original in parts and condition and finish.

replacing barrel's sending out to others to check out and do this and that always a pain and time consuming.

Heck you change it all out you are firing a Colt RECEIVER ONLY. Not the true historic GUN.

I think all of this started about ten or so years ago. next stop get a shooter and be done with it. No Colt is a shooter in less it is a reblue with all parts replaced with military. and 50% finish.

It is sad to me it has gotten to that.But hey you're gun and money. shoot the fun out of it till the blue is gone if you wish. Just one DUDES OPINION. Who has been around some of these over the decades. enjoy the guns and the forum Colt 21a Ron

• Upvote 1

I'm with Ron. We've seen the same thing happen with MP-40s. Guys want to "save" everything, and so end up shooting the gun with all the parts switched out except the receiver. Guess what? The receiver is the most important part of the gun; the only part that cannot be replaced. A little shooting will not hurt any gun. I have an original, all matching MP-40 that has the original undisturbed barrel staking, so I know the barrel has never been removed. I'm supposed to disturb the staking to shoot a different barrel and "save" the original? I think not.

What if you pass away? Who's to mate those original parts back up with the receiver? Who will even be able to find them, or know what they're for? Or care?

This is all nuts.

I wont be taking possession until around the end of the year, just planning ahead... and your responses have been very valuable to me so, thanks. I will join and attend the various shoots when the time comes. Ive been told theres one nearby in MD.

The seller is an member here and he is providing an extra actuator for shooting.

I have a Savage M1A1 also coming, probably sooner, that I plan on shooting. However, I do plan on firing the Colt too, at least a little.

Edited by GaryKeim

If you do not have have a 1921 style actuator, get one on order via PK. You have to send him a 1928 actuator to cut down. I highly recommend using a knurled one, because it looks alot better. PK does not do them on an individual order basis. Once he gets enough to do a production run, he does them. So, since you are in the NFA time out box, order one now, and send it to PK. He can sell you the spring and custom spring guide to make it run.

Since you are getting a Savage anyway, you can use those parts, when you shoot the 28 Navy.

Congrats, and I would start looking for vintage accessories to go with them. Enjoy!

Sandman1957

Edited by Sandman1957

>I have an original, all matching MP-40 that has the original undisturbed barrel staking, so I know the barrel has never been removed. I'm supposed to disturb the staking to shoot a different barrel and "save" the original? I think not.<

Point of info: MP40 barrels are not staked directly to the receiver and the assembly of the barrel to the receiver was designed to allow for easy removal for any purpose including replacment of the barrel. The crush washers are lightly staked to small square cutouts in the edge of the sling ring at the rear and to the barrel nut at the front to prevent the nut from unscrewing from vibration. The crush washers are replaceable, throw-away parts. The barrel on your gun could very well have been removed at some point, the crush washer replaced, the nut assembled and staked. There is no way to know absolutely if it is original to manufacture. FWIW

Edited by Black River Militaria CII
  • Upvote 1

MP-40 barrel nut washers were staked in a particular way during the original build, using punches specially made for the process. This is really easy to see on an MP-40 that's never been messed with.

Edited by TSMGguy