Vertical Foregrip Question

What's the exact screw length for a vertical foregrip for an M28A1? I bought the grip but it disn't come with the screw. I have an industrial bolt company in my town and they have [/i]any kind of bolt or screw in existence, I'd just like to get the correct length without having to cut it down...

Well, I don't happen to have a vertical grip but since you have an industrial supply house in the area that has any screw you can think of and since you do not want to get one from some place like Numrich, why not take the screw out of the grip from the trigger assembly, then take that screw and the vertical wood grip to the supply house and tell them that you want a screw similar to the one you have but one that is long enough to go thru that vertical grip and extend out the end by about 1/4" that should do it.

I just went through this myself. PK advised that the thread is an odd size that hasn't been in general use since WWII. He has a die of correct size if you need to cut yours. He also said the bolts came in about three different sizes over the years, Kahrs being the longest. The rear pistol grip screw is close to right but just a bit long for the front grip on mine.

I've bought the vertical grip screw (or bolt if you prefer) from Numrich, Sarco and Longmountain and got at least two of the different lengths. One being so long the head stuck out of the grip when the tip was nearly at the grip frame. $5 sunk cost on that one.

Taps and dies of the proper thread can be had. IIRC I got them at a reasonable price from Brownell's.

MP

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I took the rear grip bolt screw (which works just fine for a vertical foregrip, I checked it first), and took it to the local company that claims to have everything. Well, they have that thread, but nothing that long, not even close!

They asked what it was off of. I hesitated but did eventually told them. They seemed bummed that they couldn't help when they found out it was for a TSMG.

They did give me the specs for it so I could ask for one with industry terminology:

#12-24X4 1/2"