Best Way To Sell MP40

Hello, I am thinking of selling one of my MP40s and was wondering what everyone thinks about the best way to go about it. It is an MP40 with really cool celebrity provenance. Would it be better to try and sell it myself through one of the gunboards or might it be a better idea to consign it to one of the premier auction houses like James Julia or RIA? Has anyone ever dealt with them? What are the pros and cons? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Haenelistklasse

Well now that you mention it can you give us all an overview so we know what to expect :)

Sure, why not. It is the original Amnesty gun registered by Hank Williams Jr. in 1968. I have a copy of the original Amnesty Form and place of employment says Grand Ole Opry haha. It says the gun was inherited but not from whom. I am still trying to find that out. He does have some concerts coming up this summer so maybe when he does his meet and greet, I could possibly ask him. The gun is coded ayf 43 and is a mismatched, reblued shooter grade gun. I kind of have a feeling he inherited this gun from his dad as I have heard he was a big gun guy. This gun was also registered with an MG42 but unfortunately I do not have that :-( I also heard he sold these guns off when he got in trouble with the law but I think his lawyer gave him bad advice because according to Ian from Forgotten Weapons any Amnesty gun can be kept by the owner no matter what so I guess in that sense it is a shame for him but cool for me. :-)

Appreciate the overview and look forward to the pictures! Neat history. Thank you!

Well now that you mention it can you give us all an overview so we know what to expect :)

Sure, why not. It is the original Amnesty gun registered by Hank Williams Jr. in 1968. I have a copy of the original Amnesty Form and place of employment says Grand Ole Opry haha. It says the gun was inherited but not from whom. I am still trying to find that out. He does have some concerts coming up this summer so maybe when he does his meet and greet, I could possibly ask him. The gun is coded ayf 43 and is a mismatched, reblued shooter grade gun. I kind of have a feeling he inherited this gun from his dad as I have heard he was a big gun guy. This gun was also registered with an MG42 but unfortunately I do not have that :-( I also heard he sold these guns off when he got in trouble with the law but I think his lawyer gave him bad advice because according to Ian from Forgotten Weapons any Amnesty gun can be kept by the owner no matter what so I guess in that sense it is a shame for him but cool for me. :-)

Not my understanding

Hank used to Goose hunt up here, owned hunting land north of Thief River Falls MN, was a somewhat seasonal regular in local bars

Hell way back then I'd get Hank to crash my keg parties and go unplugged in my living room

The Mp40 was sold years ago, he just lost interest in it, pretty sure he unloaded it in the late 70s ?

He did have a 42' at one point as well as a mess of other NFA toys

Hank is or at least was a just HUGE gun guy

A bunch of big time C&W folks hunt Minnesota

kind of started with the WE Fest in Detroit Lakes

Back in the late 70s Ted Nugent was big game hunting just a few miles north of me in Manitoba, ran into teddy a couple times gassing his Jeep up.

Pretty sure your 40' has went through a few hands since Hank owned it but it's damn cool provenance.

seem to recall he shifted to 21' Colts and Commercial BARs

allegedly Hank is one of us. Not talked with him in many years.

Not my understanding

Hank used to Goose hunt up here, owned hunting land north of Thief River Falls MN, was a somewhat seasonal regular in local bars

Hell way back then I'd get Hank to crash my keg parties and go unplugged in my living room

The Mp40 was sold years ago, he just lost interest in it, pretty sure he unloaded it in the late 70s ?

He did have a 42' at one point as well as a mess of other NFA toys

Hank is or at least was a just HUGE gun guy

A bunch of big time C&W folks hunt Minnesota

kind of started with the WE Fest in Detroit Lakes

Back in the late 70s Ted Nugent was big game hunting just a few miles north of me in Manitoba, ran into teddy a couple times gassing his Jeep up.

Pretty sure your 40' has went through a few hands since Hank owned it but it's damn cool provenance.

seem to recall he shifted to 21' Colts and Commercial BARs

allegedly Hank is one of us. Not talked with him in many years.

Oh, ok thank you very much for the information. On Hanks website it says he still lives in MT for part of the year. If it came across as me having gotten it from Hank that was not my intent. In fact, the guy I got it from owned it for like 20 something years. Bought it out of the Shotgun News and it was advertised in the early 90s. So you are right it went through a couple hands I am sure.

Recently sold an item on GB for $34,500.00. GB fee was .025% or less than $865.00. Well worth it. Sturm is also an excellent resource.

Auction houses charge around 15% PLUS a buyers premium. If I were a buyer at an auction I would factor the buyers premium in how high I was willing to bid. The result result might be the seller is actually paying twice. Once for the listing and again in a round about way for the buyers premium. Advantage to an auction house is widespread publicity and potentially more bidders.

My $0.02.

wonder how much the Hank Williams would add to the value.....i suspect very little for anyone under age 50+.......for a fan it could be worth $5k+ extra ill bet

id try GB to start with...it will get all the attention it needs...you could always call an auction house and get their opinion on the value....put a reserve on it...auction houses always seem to get crazy money and may come out ahead on such a unique history gun....

pics?

Edited by huggytree

They do reduce it, but I don't think one MP40 tube gun would make that cut from what I have been told? You'd have to call and specifically ask. As for a value, RIA has no one that can accurately value NFA guns, especially one like that where someone could pay a premium for that provenance. John Keene is about the only knowledgeable actual NFA collector I can think of in the auction industry. Not sure what his status is after the closing of the Maine facility?

6-18 months before your gun transfers and lists in a large auction. Gunbroker or sturm listing 6-18 minutes depending on your skills? You could set it outside in the dark, take .02 megapixel pictures, send them to frank and have him list it with a made up story listing about how it's Donald Trump's gun? HTH

wonder how much the Hank Williams would add to the value.....i suspect very little for anyone under age 50+.......for a fan it could be worth $5k+ extra ill bet

id try GB to start with...it will get all the attention it needs...you could always call an auction house and get their opinion on the value....put a reserve on it...auction houses always seem to get crazy money and may come out ahead on such a unique history gun....

pics?

Sorry, I don't know how to post pics but if someone wants to post them for me I could probably take a picture or two of the gun and take a picture of the Amnesty Form from 1968.

if the gun looks similar to other mp40's ive seen and with its history i think you have it listed at a fair/correct starting point....it could sell quick to a fan or may need a best offer after a bit to move it....but you priced it where i probably would have....mp40's have been selling into the $20's lately

if the gun looks similar to other mp40's ive seen and with its history i think you have it listed at a fair/correct starting point....it could sell quick to a fan or may need a best offer after a bit to move it....but you priced it where i probably would have....mp40's have been selling into the $20's lately

That is what I was figuring too. I figured as a decent shooter grade gun it is worth about 16-18k so I went up the middle at 17k and added about 6k for the provenance. They did a pretty good job of restoration. The pitting is light on the receiver and the stock is the tightest I have ever seen on an MP40. Shoots pretty sweet. We will see what happens.