Is A C Drum Worth $1500.00

A Westy C Drum. It will have to be re-worked to function correctly.

Before the ban sunset, maybe $1,500.

Now that the ban has ended, I am sure that somone will make C drums again. There has even been talk on this board of someone making C drums.

450 to 500 MAX on one of those things since the sunset has happened and there is talk that new production will begin in that price range.

Not to mention most of the 100 round C drums that they made don't work without $400 worth of repairs or something like that.

Stay away if you ask me.

Jr

I disagree.

If the drum has been tuned by Merle and you want it now, $1500 is about market rate for it. I think untuned C drums should be in range between $1000-1200.

There is talk of someone other than Kahr making 100 round drums, but until the details are released and things are firmed up you don't have many choices.

Its very simple. Limitied supply, greater demand and no current production = higher price.

If you want it, you will pay the premium.

I know that complaining about the prices won't get you a drum....

The older C's will probably loose a little of their value, "IF" the new ones work and are eventually produced.

I feel that even my Worcester patent dated L has likely lost a little of it's value. But then it's not a shooter. Works like a finely made Swiss watch, without any adjustments.

I guess it's like comparing a Colt Tommy to a WH. Each one has it's place in the collection, and history of the gun.

Just my .02 on the topic!

At this point I don't think anyone knows what will happen with drum prices. Six months ago the military L drums were highter than I see them selling for now - however at the SAR show they were asking at least as much as 6 months ago, or more. I have been able to buy 2 drums in the last month for considerable less than 6 months ago. Maybe seller fear.

If no company makes a C drum, then I think the AO price will hold. I think it would be questionable for anyone to tool up for a C drum - the demand would be limited. "A Chinese drum"

I don't see Colt drums going anywhere but up in price.

Reality check:

Cut from a Dan Shea 04 DEC 2004 post on the Subguns NFA forum under the topic SAR show,

"Seen walking through the show with big smiles... guy who bought original C drum and NY drum 1500 for the pair "

Okay, one happy customer does not set a market price but it sure does indicate that there are some seriously overpriced C and L drums on the market.

I question if in fact the price was for "original" drums as noted.

As I said on the SAR post, there is one VERY lucky buyer and one VERY unlucky seller if that is the case.

In my opinion it would be extremely hard to believe a seller at an event like this would be so underpriced. Sellers at events like these would/should know market price. It is more likely that I think someone got a good deal on a C and L drum vintage unknown but miscommunicated along the way as originals.

I don't think anybody would be smiling at having paid $15,000 for a C drum and an L drum of any vintage unless they were signed by John T. Thompson and Oscar Payne, and authenticated as such.

At $1,500 each (or $3,000 for the pair), we're in a more believable range for a happy customer with original Colt (not WH) C drums commanding in the $3,000 range or more alone. In that case, the L drum, regardless of heritage, was "free."

Yet further, a WH C drum is still not worth $1,500, especially considering the seller makes no statement as to whether or not it functions. As was noted, the one for sale may well need $400 of additional work making the effective price $1,900.

Pat,

You did ok for the Bridgeport.

I gave $1,179. for a Worcester, patent dated, NY L, in near mint condition. About a year prior to the sunset.

It works an I'm happy, I guess that's the important part, that the buyer is pleased with their purchase.

Pat, Guys- that pair of C drums had matching serial numbers-

Be worth something if one had the gun that went with them otherwise they ought to be in a museum.

When I see something like these I think the seller doesn't really care to sell them unless he can really get his teeth fixed by doing so.

They were indeed very nice looking drums.

Mark

The short story on the pair of matching/mismatched Colt C drums is that the owner, Mike Young, owned a mismatched # drum and found the mate to it. How likely does that happen? As for the high price, I guess he really doesnt want to sell unless you make an offer he cant refuse.

Well, Evilbay canned the auction (s). As usual they waited until the last day.

I believe the C was up to $1200, anyone catch what the L drum was at?

Rare "Matching Mismatched" C drums?

Let me see if I understand this..... If you have two serial numbered drums you want to get rid of. Let's see now... you switch the top covers on the two drums and poof - you've discovered a rare "matching-mismatched" pair worth 3-4 times the market value. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif What a find!

With due respect guys,

Give Mike some credence. Mike obtained a Colt "C" drum some years ago.

It was mismatched, #91 and #1821 (I think)

Years later he turns up a second mismatched Colt "C" drum #1821 and #91. The chances of such a find is rare.

You must remember that most of the early number (3 digit) drums went to Ireland with the Rorke and Gentry guns and all of the "C" drums here in New Zealand came out of Ireland.

He had the two drums for sale for $15,000.00.

Drums were certainly selling at the SAR show.

While some people picked up some real bargains, a lot of Westy "L" drums were selling between $250 and $500, WW2 drums were selling at $600 to $1050 and Colt "L" drums at $1200 to $1500.

Westy "C" drums at $1000 to $1500 depending if they had been worked over by Mearle.

Colt "C" drums were priced at $3000 to $7500 depending on condition.

The price argument over Colt "C" drums is academic.

The price is what the market wants to pay, and that is what the market is paying. That is the whole basis of a "Free Market" county like the USA.

Only is liberal pinky countries do you have "Price fixing and price control."

We got rid of that system 20 years ago and have never looked back.

The price is the price is the price!

Regards and Merry Christmas to you all. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif