"Home Guard BAR"

Here are some photos of a British proofed BAR as used by the British Home Guard after the Dunkirk evacuation.

In June of 1940 the US shipped 25,000, model 1918, BARs to replace the BREN guns abandoned in

France.

The butt stock has been replaced by a make shift steel butt stock , as pictured on page 372 in

Jim Balou's book.

The right rear of the barrel are proof marked indicating a 18 ton test.

The front, right/top of the receiver has some sort of a proof mark.

Its really beautiful conditions indicates it never saw combat.

Jim C

pix359125379.jpgpix983907894.jpgpix612263179.jpgBAR markings.jpg

• Upvote 1

My copy of Jim Balou's book is in storage. I am not sure what he says about them. There is a reference in British contract records about 250 "Browning .30 Lightweight rifle, butt stock Mk11" being contacted to H. B. Thomas at 1 Pound 10 Shillings on 12th May 1943. I think the term lightweight was just a general term to describe the BAR.

If possible are you able to take a close up photo of the indistinct proof mark near the top of the receiver?

This is a great rifle to have in ones collection!

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Alan,

The rifle is not in my possession but someday I will have another look at it.

However I do have JIm Ballou's book handy and it does have some pics. First off the stamp you are referring to, I believe is a Springfield Arsenal acceptance stamp. In other words ,our country in WW1.

The stamp you are interested in is on the right/ front of the receiver and Jim Ballou refers to it as a Birmingham Proof House stamp. Its barely visible in the pic.

Request you take a photo of the British contract record for the butt stock mk 11 and post it here so I can print it.

Thanks,

Jim

The reference I have quoted is from Ian Skennerton's excellent booklet on "British Small Arms of World War 2". This consist of information taken from the contract ledgers I refer to above.

I can copy this page if you like but the info will be exactly as I quoted above. I may have a photo i have taken of the page in the original contract ledger somewhere, which I will try and find on my computer - the lighting on the second floor of the National Archives where these ledgers have to be read is rubbish, so consequently the images do not come out brilliantly. Leave it with me and I will dig it out.

Alan

• 6 months later...

Picked up the Winchester 1918 "Home Guard BAR" yesterday.

Removed the ugly British steel butt stock and installed a Dan Block walnut stock.

Looks much better. Will save the steel stock for when its time to sell.

Here are some pics of the Winchester alone and paired with the Colt 1919 commercial.

The Winchester is the one with the flash hider.

Jim C

IMG_0111_1.JPGIMG_0112_1.JPGIMG_0110_1.JPGIMG_0108_1.JPGIMG_0099_1.JPGIMG_0102_1.JPGIMG_0098_1.JPGIMG_0103_1.JPGIMG_0090_1.JPG

• Upvote 1

Jim, thanks. Is it marked Machine or Automatic Rifle? And what’s the serial #. I also would love to see some part detail pics.

This is fun! I love a good mystery.

• 2 weeks later...