New Wood

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

My 1918A3 is on it's way to being a 1918 ... Some mill work on the magazine guides and a 1918 flash hider, then a reblue.

The stock set was made by Dan Block

Attached File  DSC_0082.jpg   85.29K   50 downloads

Edited by Oldtrooper, 28 July 2018 - 11:04 AM.

#2 jl7422

jl7422

• Regular Group
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:48 PM

Boy, that's going to be a nice looking piece.

#3 timkel

timkel

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1135 posts
  • Interests:NRA Patron member
    Atlas Shrugged

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:50 AM

That is the best looking configuration. Beautiful wood. 

#4 StooperZero

StooperZero

• Board Donor
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:WW2 LMG/GPMG.

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

does he make the forearm as well?

I've considered this with mine BUT I'd cheat and use the chrysler engine paint blueing method. 

#5 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

does he make the forearm as well?

I've considered this with mine BUT I'd cheat and use the chrysler engine paint blueing method. 

Yes he does

#6 J.F. Bell

J.F. Bell

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

Must be something in the air...mine's heading the same direction, DB stocks and all. 

Out of idle curiosity, can I ask where you got your rear sight?  That's the last component (short the reblue and the machine work) that I need to get mine finished out. 

#7 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:35 PM

Must be something in the air...mine's heading the same direction, DB stocks and all. 

Out of idle curiosity, can I ask where you got your rear sight?  That's the last component (short the reblue and the machine work) that I need to get mine finished out. 

I called Ohio Ordnance and asked them if they had one left over from their 1918 Colt builds ... They did ... And it was pretty expensive. It came complete, blued, and ready to install on my rifle.

#8 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:42 PM

You will not be disappointed with the Dan Block wood ... Easy to fit and is beautifully finished ... Dan also used the correct sling swivel on the stock.

Attached File  1818 SLR.jpg   178.02K   33 downloads

#9 J.F. Bell

J.F. Bell

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:33 AM

Much appreciated.  Didn't figure it'd come cheap - but then again, it's one of those glaring differences that ruins the look if left unattended. 

Concur on the wood.  Put mine on last week...it makes a whole new rifle out of a bone-stock OOW. 

#10 StooperZero

StooperZero

• Board Donor
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:WW2 LMG/GPMG.

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:58 AM

wow,  i had no clue rear sights were that high now. 

#11 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:37 AM

wow,  i had no clue rear sights were that high now. 

$540 from OOW

#12 RoscoeTurner

RoscoeTurner

Respected Member

• 2972 posts
  • Interests:WWII Military Thompsons
    WWII Browning Automatic Rifles
    Russian M1910 Maxims
    Vickers
    01/SOT

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:11 PM

I called Ohio Ordnance and asked them if they had one left over from their 1918 Colt builds ... They did ... And it was pretty expensive. It came complete, blued, and ready to install on my rifle.

I had the opposite problem, replacing a WWI rear sight with a WWII sight on this one.  WWI sight went to Ebay the day it was replaced.

Attached Files

• Attached File  BAR1.jpg   112.06K   19 downloads

#13 J.F. Bell

J.F. Bell

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:49 PM

That being the case...I half-wonder if it wouldn't be worth it to see if our local machinist could turn one out. 

Anybody have both the early rear sight and an M1917 to compare?  If it's a just a matter of the guard, it may well be cheaper to eat the cost of machine time rather than buying an original. 

#14 APEXgunparts

APEXgunparts

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Military history & martial arms.

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:46 AM

Is this the rear sight base that you are seeking?

5july18_1919_sghtbase_stripped_good_mid1

APEX still has a LOT of BAR parts pending, that will get listed on the web site.

Richard

#15 J.F. Bell

J.F. Bell

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:56 PM

In point of fact it is...

PM on the way.

#16 APEXgunparts

APEXgunparts

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Military history & martial arms.

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for that info.
I have a lot of the "ODD" BAR, FND and Browning parts still pending because I haven't had the time to research what is a fair price for the products.

In some cases it is work and time just to figure out what they are and what gun they are a part of.

Richard

#17 MG34bar

MG34bar

• Regular Group
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:50 PM

J F Bell:

Hi J F, just a note that, in the dim and distant past (45 year ago) when almost all the transferable BARs were returns from England, we were all doing the opposite; that is taking the 1918 guns and making them 1918A2 configuration. As I remember the M1917 rear sight leaf and the 1918 BAR leaf were slightly different. I think the M1917 leaf was longer, and I always thought that was due to the difference in "sight radius" in that the M1917 had a 26" barrel while the BAR barrel is 24". Then again, my memory isn't what it used to be anymore. 

Joe

#18 PrayingMantis

PrayingMantis

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

Oldtrooper, very nice! I did the same thing last year, but I didnt find the rear sight box, might have to give Apex a call.

Attached Files

#19 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:37 PM

Oldtrooper, very nice! I did the same thing last year, but I didnt find the rear sight box, might have to give Apex a call.

Nice ... That's what mine will look like when it's finished ... If you need the rear sight you might call Ohio Ordnance ... The one I purchased from them was complete with a blue finish ... It was expensive ... $540.00 

Attached File  DSC_0129.jpg   62.49K   13 downloads

#20 J.F. Bell

J.F. Bell

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 12:44 PM

Within two pieces of completion now.  I'm waiting on a screw for the rear sight (mine was Allen rather than slotted) and a new flash hider.  An early gas regulator is technically on the list, but I'm not holding my breath. 

44526483632_45726607b1_o_d.jpg