Colt Archival Letters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:51 PM

Does anyone know if Colt Archival services will research and issue a letter stating date of manufacture and original recipient of early Colt machineguns? I have a very early Factory Colt AR15 machinegun that I would like to get the mfg date on and whether it was shipped to a dealer or the military. I have been unable to reach them by phone, message or otherwise to ask. Does anyone know for certain?

MH

#2 bmarvin

bmarvin

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 688 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

I deal with Paul when/if I letter a pistol.

Maybe reach out to him?

Paul Szymaszek
Colt Archivist

800-962-2658 Ext. 1849
pszymaszek@colt.com

#3 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:31 PM

Ive tried calling several times, always on hold for a very long time and there messages are full. I guess I will keep calling till somebody picks up the phone.
MH

#4 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1013 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:46 AM

IIRC, on their website they specifically state that they do not do letters for Colt manufactured machine guns.

FWIW, I used to own a three digit serial number Colt AR-15, Model 601 machine gun.  When I sent a FOIA request to the BATF, the first substantive part of the response was a redacted copy of the Form 2 showing when it was initially registered as manufactured (Jan. 31, 1961), and the next transaction was the Form 5 transfer to an LEO a few days later.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

#5 av8tr

av8tr

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:34 AM

I emailed Paul, at the address given by marvin, about Colt Letters for 3 pistols last week.  He responded during the same day.  I would try email, as he told me he is often away from his desk and phone doing research.

#6 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2855 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:37 AM

Following bmarvins suggestion I emailed Paul Szymaszek for info on my Colt BAR.

If I hear from Paul I'll post here.

I have already tried the normal Colt archives for the BAR and was told they don't do machine guns.

Jim C

#7 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 840 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:00 PM

Jim, indeed let us know what you find out. I don't see why they couldn't at least give the date of manufacture and redact other information that may be personal.

MH

#8 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2855 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:14 PM

Just heard from Paul S.

He has no record for my BAR.

Jim C+