Speaking Of 10.5" Barrels

well i have enough cash now to buy a kahr semi auto m1, and i was wondering, i have to be 21 to get the 10.5" barrel do i not??? I would like this m1 to look as close to what a soldier would have carried in ww2 europe.

And i dont want to start a "kahr blows" thread, but what issues can i expect right out of the box, what parts should i have as spares just in case??

After buying the Kahr semi-auto, you would need to submit a form 1 for an SBR (an intent to manufacture an SBR). Once the form 1 is approved, you may then purchase the 10.5 inch barrel and put it on the gun.

DO NOT buy the short barrel before the form 1 has cleared the ATF!

I would suggest the route of buying the 16" TM-1 and having PK do the modifications on it after the Form 1 clears. It's much cheaper that way, and you don't have to worry about how it's going to work "out of the box".

Jaron

spares should be:

firing pin or two(they are not just a drop in, alittle filing is sometimes needed)

extractor or two

one part you should track down:

USGI mag release OR a modied kahr,

to use USGI mags, which help greatly with most of their problems.

I would suggest the route of buying the 16" TM-1 and having PK do the modifications on it after the Form 1 clears.

Exactly.. you will save money in the long run and you will have a Thompson that looks and functions properly over buying an SBR from Kahr that costs too much and probably won't work right out of the box.

If I recall correctly if you by a short barreled shotgun from the manufacturer the transfer is only $5 on a form 4, not sure if its the same for an SBR but this alone would safe some serious dinero not having to buy another barrel plus the tax stamp difference is almost he cost of the m-1 isn't if??

Mark

The tax is the same.. (from the Kahr site):

Thompson Short Barrel Rifles must be shipped to a Class 2 manufacturer or Class 3 dealer directly from our factory in Worcester, MA. The transfer paperwork between Kahr Arms/Auto-Ordnance and the dealer, known as a Form 3, must be completed and approved by the NFA branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF) before the Thompson SBR can be shipped to the dealer. The customer needs to pay a $200 transfer fee directly to the BATF. Your local dealer can assist you in this process

You can pick up a barrel for a little over a hundred dollars, the MSRP of the new SB Kahr is $1352.00. You can pick up a 16" barrel Kahr for around $800.00.. I still say I'd rather spend tha bucks on a 16" and send it off to PK..money better spent...

http://www.tommygun.com/images/m1sb.jpg

Agree with you there Hawk, don't understand why its not $5 like a shotgun but who said there was any reason with NFA. Yep, miles ahead sending a $100 barrel to PK adn sending the gun to his spa.

A couple of comments...

First, ALL Form 4 NFA transfers are $200; the sole exception being an AOW which transfers of a $5 tax (the orange stamps.) This holds true whether the device is an MG, suppressor, SBR, SBS, or DD...they all transfer on a $200 tax (blue stamp.) Moreover, a Form 1 (making tax) is also $200, even on an AOW.

Second, in regards to Brian's suggestion about finding a GI magazine catch... Even an OEM/GI magazine latch will need to be modified in order to use unmodified GI magazines in a semiauto Thompson rifle. The reason is that the semiauto receiver is approx. 1/10 inch shorter than the fullauto receivers and as such, there are basically two options: 1) Oval the mag catch holes by extending them towards the top of the magazine (like Kahr does.) The downside is that every magazine will have to be modified. Option 2) is to reduce the top of the magazine catch by 1/10 inch. to use unmodified TSMG magazines.

HTH

D-Day,

I would have to agree with the guys on this one. I went this route, saved several hundred $ and PK did all the work to make it run right (including modifying the mag catch to accept FA mags) and it was WELL WORTH IT!!! The only part I bought extras of was the extractor. I ordered a replacement ejector from Kahr and they sent it free under warranty. Email PK fro details on the work; in the words of Mike Tyson you'll be eshtatic with the results!!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't saving $$$ require (i) finding a used, not new semi-M1 so that $ can be saved with the initial weapon purchase, (ii) finding a decent 10.5" barrel at low $, and (iii) the reasonable $ rates that PK charges for his gunsmithing?

Otherwise, with the current Kahr MSRPs of $1041 for the regular barrel M1 and $1456 for the SBR M1, Kahr has really done the math wrong.

2A, Over.

QUOTE (DDAYJune6 @ Oct 25 2004, 04:24 PM)
I would like this m1 to look as close to what a soldier would have carried in ww2 europe.

then as a few recent threads have shown, you'll want a '27, to resemble the more common 1928's.

italy;

http://www.boomspeed.com/kinky/Thompsonww2.jpg

Edited by brian

Or if you want to do ETO 1943 on..... basically Sicily-Italy-France-Germany or Late PTO - you can go with the TM-1 since it's much cheaper to modify than the '27.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/ChallengeBlue/82d%20Museum%20Archives/LTC%20Charles%20Major%20Collection%202-325/scan0013.jpg

Yeah, one of each is always the best way to go.....

I really like those German Paratrooper Gloves in that last pic...... I need to pick me up some of those.

Jaron