Someone might be getting a fantastic deal on a M3

That looks like a pretty nice example; the paint has some wear but that just adds character. Love the Sheriff's Dept. ID sticker. However, there are at this time 15 separate bidders in that auction, odds are that at least two of them are serious. Even though GB has their 15 minute rule, the fun won't start until 8:55 PM. I'm betting on at least one time extension, probably more

It is interesting that it is from a Louisiana Sheriff's office. I have one that I bought from the estate of a policeman in New Orleans. He had purchased it from Interarms in 1964. My serial number is only 21 higher than this one. They were probably built the same day. Perhaps I need a second?

Thanks for advertising this more!!!!!...im a bidder at the last minute.....other forum members are too.....it isnt going to go for $15k

in this market id be surprised at $25k though...but ive seen crazy things on GB before.

would have preferred to keep this one a secret!!!!

been watching for 10-14 days now

I was $20,777

In a blah market I couldnt see paying full price. I figured it would sell $21-22,000

Pictures are decent but not perfect. You dont know what your getting 100%.

Sad. I hate auctions. I rarely win . I only pick the ones everyone else wants too

:(

Thanks for advertising this more!!!!!...im a bidder at the last minute.....other forum members are too.....it isnt going to go for $15k

in this market id be surprised at $25k though...but ive seen crazy things on GB before.

Did not mean to wreck your bidding. Just thought it had a potential to end at a good price for someone and wanted to alert folks in our community who might be interested in a GG.

Edited by NFA amnesty

Did not mean to wreck your bidding. Just thought it had a potential to end at a good price for someone and wanted to alert folks in our community who might be interested in a GG.
I know. It was always gonna end high. Good deals on a gg are few

I literally thought about it all week!!

Edited by huggytree

I know. It was always gonna end high. Good deals on a gg are few

I literally thought about it all week!!

Now I really feel bad!!

A few weeks ago MWT also had a M3A1 in their e-mail flyer.
Those are very few and far between.
This one being a "Lend Lease" out of the UK and also from a Sheriff's Dep't it is surprising that it is transferable.

Richard

A few weeks ago MWT also had a M3A1 in their e-mail flyer.

Those are very few and far between.

This one being a "Lend Lease" out of the UK and also from a Sheriff's Dep't it is surprising that it is transferable.

Richard

Just depends when it came in country. I have an identical gun for all practical purposes that was bought from the estate of a former cop in Louisiana. He bought it from International Armament Corporation in 1964. I am sure this one was purchased from them around the same time. IAC would have filed a Form 5 so it would be transferable.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Why is this a "Lend Lease" Grease Gun? Because of the black colour?

Lots of people say that black coloured Grease Guns came back from Britain. But noone could ever show a proof.

I did a lot of research for my book and even the British are clueless. Most of the Grease Guns in British collections are blued and NOT coloured black. There are no British markings on the black weapons.

And why should the British waste time and money during the war to put a black paint on brand new weapons that were already fully serviceable without that paint?

Why is this a "Lend Lease" Grease Gun? Because of the black colour?

Lots of people say that black coloured Grease Guns came back from Britain. But noone could ever show a proof.

I did a lot of research for my book and even the British are clueless. Most of the Grease Guns in British collections are blued and NOT coloured black. There are no British markings on the black weapons.

And why should the British waste time and money during the war to put a black paint on brand new weapons that were already fully serviceable without that paint?

I have an M3 with a worn black paint job and British-looking proofs on the barrel.

I do not know who painted it or when.

I have wondered why they would paint new weapons. Perhaps the Brits or an arms dealer painted them after the war? It could have been anyone.

fullsizeoutput_4cc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_493.jpeg

To be honest, the ones that I have seen that look to have original black finish seem to have been factory painted like a car part. I have been having this discussion concerning the refinish of mine for nearly 3 years. At this time it is being parkerized and the having a black painted finish applied over the park. That may or may not be correct. No one seems to truly know for sure. The magazine release guard is a British modification. That would indicate it is Lend Lease.

JJX, what is your serial number? Can you post a close up picture of the magazine well?

Dan

There are effectively two types of what appears to be black finishes that I am aware of. One is the suncorite which was applied to British lend lease guns and of course if worn down too much, touched up with spray paint here. There were a number of guns (small from what I recall from Frank's book) that had a dulite finish. I bought one assuming it was black painted (having not seen the gun in person) and it turned out to be an unfired dulite finished gun. While I'm sure there are others, it's the only one I've ever seen in person. This gun had never left the country.

Back in the day we had three black painted guns. None had the welded mag release mod., but if I recall there were British proofs on them.