M1928a1 Mystery Number

Looking for an expert out there on numbering of Savage-made M1928A1s. I recently pulled the front horizonal grip and its mount off my 1928A1. Under the grip mount, in the grip mount channel, stamped into the bottom of the upper receiver below the barrel threads is a six-digit number, in this case 311246. No "S" or "AO" prefix, just the number. And it doesn't match any other number on the gun. It's clearly a factory or arsenal marking, but would never see the light of day unless the grip mount were pulled. I don't see anything like this in any reference, including American Thunder II. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

That is a Savage made 1928A1 serial number under the grip mount. The A.O. guns had the A.O. preface before the serial number, even under the grip mount. The serial number on the side of your receiver doesn't match? It has obviously been redone and renumbered. It is fairly common for the grip frame number not to match.

All Colt, 1928 Savage and 1928A1 Thompsons had the serial number of the receiver stamped under the grip mount.

Good guess PK!

I would like to see pictures of the side of the receiver and the s/n under the grip mount.

This may shed light on which one may be altered..... I am pretty sure mine has the receiver side s/n altered at one time, prior to it's being registered. Obvious once you see the lettering (a digit on my s/n is backwards!!).

We discussed recently why anyone would do this - I think I remember the consensus was that people were afraid during the amnesty period that the s/n would be traced, and they altered it. They sure weren't collectable yet.

Other than a rewat... this is the only thing that makes any sense. Good luck!