WTK- Value Of Savage Thompson Lower

There is one on ebay now with a buy it now for $800. I'd like to think it is worth less thsn that. IMA has them for $550 as of the last ad in gunlist.

Need to know if its a 28 lower, or if its a M1/M1A1 lower. How do the sear, and other parts look? 28 stuff is worth more than M1/M1A1 stuff even if the internals are the same. Pin selectors are worth less than paddles, kurneled paddles are worth more than smooth paddles. What SN range? Condition?

Still need more info

Jr

Jim,

That is not a hard and fast rule. For instance SARCO sells, or sold, Savage 1928 complete frames for $750 and that is the same as they fetch on ebay. An original Police/FBI case sold for $1200 on ebay compared to the $2,600 asked on other outlets. The idea that ebay is "evilbay" is really unwarranted. There are so many items represented from every conceivable interest, hobbie, antique, etc and from all over the world. Up until ebay it required traveling to all corners of the globe, or trying to locate obscure trade periodicals to track down previously hard to find items. If you believe that NRA parts are better bargains at gun shows, you are laboring under a misapprehension.

Arthur I am glad someone else fells as I do about ebay. It has its faults but it is a wonderful place to look for and buy just about anything including Thompson stuff. I have vastly increased my parts and accessories collection for my Thompsons from ebay. Sometimes you pay a premium and other times not. Thompson parts would be mostly reasonable on ebay except for a couple of collecotrs who pay a premium for some parts. Other gun parts like for the MG42 are still reasonablely priced. I know some members of this board do not think much of ebay but great deals on mint Thompson stuff do not lie under every stone or garage sale. I have not seen a Thompson part other than a mag at a Florida gun show in years. Some of us do not have the time to find the "deal of the Century" so ebay is a great place to find just what you are looking for. Just be a smart shopper and know where you might get the part for less. As for the definition of market value it is what a willing sell would sell for and a willing buyer would buy for after a reasonable marketing time and no duress to sell. Ebay sales meet that definition. Sorry for the rant but I like ebay.

Ebay sucks today, but it used to not.

However, I buy a lot of Thompson stuff from there, and I know I sometimes pay more than its worth, but its worth what I pay for it in my eyes. I live in a county where there are fewer than 23,000 people and would NEVER find this stuff here. Ebay is simply the worlds online garage sale.

Sellers want the highest price they can get for whatever they are selling and buyers want the lowest price on whatever they are buying. Ebay brings the buyers. Some of them don't care what the price is. Same way with sellers. Those are the deals.

When you get an item thats hard to find (like Thompsons stuff) buyers pay premium prices for it. You will not see sellers on this site offering Kerr Slings for $25 each NOS. They know Ebay will fetch them a higher price. Thats where they offer it for sale.

Like it or not Ebay offers a seller or a buyer the best marketplace in the world. (No, I don't own stock in the company) They were just there first.

I still hate ebay for the high prices.

Jr

A possibility on the frames is that due to marketing the WH name is more recognized. Those who are not familiar with the history would not associate Savage with the Thompson.

I am guilty as well of purchasing items at inflated rates on e-bay. Paper products mostly, manuals and ads. When it comes to parts I hit the parts companies on-line.

I shiver when I see people bidding on "Original" xxx mags. starting at 99.00.

But to them it's a valid purchase.

I like the quote that "the best Thompson is the one you own." (or that the bank is allowing you to play with.) I wonder how many banks actually know that they hold investments in FA arms.